Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-28-2012, 02:43 PM   #1 
hannah16

My Mother Stopped by... Also IAL Question

Question First: Does IAL ever go bad? I have abut 40+ IAL that I purchased a little over a year ago. Can I still use it?

So, my mom stopped by today. She is the type of parent that believes all bettas can live in 1/2 vases for their whole lives and thrive happily.

4 of my bettas are in 1.5 gallon containers until I get income tax and start upgrading, the rest are in 1.5-2 g vases. All of them are in the warmest room of the house without heaters or filters and the water tempt never drops below 78* according to the thems.

My mom sees most of my fish in vases and looks at me all happy "OH YOU TOOK MY ADVICE AND STOPPED SPENDING SO MUCH MONEY ON THESE FISH!!! ... But you have so many!"...

I whip out my comp and bring up Bettafish.com and read aloud the info pages about what size they need and what type of car. She says it's "All a matter of opinion"

Well, I'm 18, I'm an adult so I told her I'll tend to my pets how I see fit, it's MY opinion. She kind of huffed and looks at all the fish. She really loved Princey and my DT. She didn't care for my solid white EE and asked me how much did I spend on the fish alone.

I told her the white EE is priced at $19.99 at Petco but he was given to me free for sucha sucha reasons. Then she asked about the DT and I told her normally $6.99 but I paid $2.15 with my coupon. Then she went on to rave that the DT should be $20 not the EE.

I again tried explaining it's about tail type not color. She blew me off and went on about how they only need water changes once a week or once every 2 weeks. I then changed the subject before we could begin arguing because honestly, she is hard headed.... She does better with a community tank than bettas... too much betta stereo types stuck in her mind..

My passion for fish will never make sense to my mom....

But I love her anyway
hannah16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:21 PM   #2 
majesticstorm

Oh wow. I'm always reminding my dad that they're priced by tail/fin type and not based on color too.

My parents (and my friends) think that it's weird for me to give my betta fish such a big tank, but by now they don't really care about what I do with my fish as long as it doesn't die. It's not as though THEY'RE the ones feeding him or changing his water. Plus, I'm taking him back with me to my dorm in a week so they won't see him for long. Good thing they don't know how much I spent on him(supplies and all) or else they would throw a fit, hahaha.

And about the IAL, I don't know...I'm getting a shipment of it when I get back so it's all new to me.
majesticstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:33 PM   #3 
nel3

my parents and brother are a similar case but they can understand and accept the fact i go with +2g tanks, heaters and such. my parents probably woulnd take the best care of the fish but it would be decent as per the standards here. i cant confirn if its what they have come to beleive but my brother is a lost cause to convert. ive met a few friends who are full of stereotypes and still believe them to the dot.

ive had a pack of 50 IAL bags for alteast a year and is still have 8 unused ones left that will last another 3-4 months. they still lower the PH as per newer bags.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:24 PM   #4 
Solaris

I think there's at least one person like this in every family! Luckily, my parents are understanding when it comes to the care that I want to give to my Betta. My aunt, on the other hand, not so much. I currently live with her, and when my Pavel died, I was pretty devastated. But she kept cracking jokes about it. Not to mention her Betta currently lives in a half gallon cube.

But, I still think that if we try to educate as many people as possible, it will make a difference in at least one Betta's life!
Solaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:40 PM   #5 
Artist with a betta

Good Lord where are you buying your fish I got mine for a dollar twenty-five at the pet store.
Artist with a betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:01 PM   #6 
hannah16

I've purchased most of my fish from PETCO. 2 from Petsmart and, 3 from Walmart. Oh and 3 from Polu.

Also, I agree! At least one betta can live better if we keep trying to give out good and sound advice. My mom is great with community tanks but bettas, no.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:09 PM   #7 
Artist with a betta

I saw the ones at Walmart nearly $10 for a half dead fish. that verses the pet stores $1.25 for a pretty health fish, although he did come home with fin rot.

I can sympathize I just spent about half of my Christmas money on my little guy.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:24 PM   #8 
Solaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artist with a betta View Post
Good Lord where are you buying your fish I got mine for a dollar twenty-five at the pet store.
Wow! That's cheap! The cheapest Betta that I can buy is a VT for about $7! It's $25 for anything fancier.
Solaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:52 PM   #9 
Artist with a betta

I saw a Double EE at the place where I got my little guy for like 3 bucks my friend bought him in a heartbeat I would have, but I only have the one tank.

The store is also having a pretty good sale on snails about a dollar per.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:56 PM   #10 
hannah16

Where do you buy fish?!