Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-21-2012, 10:12 AM   #1 
fish monger

Betta Hammock

I have Brazilian Pennywort floating in my Betta's tank. Is this sufficient as a hammock, or is something more substantial needed ? Thanks.
fish monger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:04 AM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

It is great. My Betta likes to use IAL as a Hamock.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 01:06 AM   #3 
sainthogan

I have a lilly plant in my girl's tank, and she likes to lay in the leaves as the fold up for the night. Very cute. She's not very cooperative when it comes to picture tanking though, I've tried many time to get one of her on her Lilly leaves, but no....
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 02:42 AM   #4 
Blue Fish

I've found that any silk plant with large/flat leaves works well as a betta hammock. I just get the tall "background" sets, and then smoosh them down slightly into the tank so there's plenty of leaves at or near the surface. My guys love to hide just under the leaves, and make the majority of their bubble nests up under there.

They sell a product called a betta hammock, but it's really just a large silk leaf attached to a suction cup.

:)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:20 AM   #5 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Carter loves to great me.
Old 12-22-2012, 09:19 PM   #6 
Armyguy03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Fish View Post
I've found that any silk plant with large/flat leaves works well as a betta hammock. I just get the tall "background" sets, and then smoosh them down slightly into the tank so there's plenty of leaves at or near the surface. My guys love to hide just under the leaves, and make the majority of their bubble nests up under there.

They sell a product called a betta hammock, but it's really just a large silk leaf attached to a suction cup.

:)
Def agree. With my first betta I didnt have any silk plants and he would use his hammock. With Brad Pitt he has an overabundance of silk plants to lay, hide, swim, play, and relax in. I have the hammock with the suction cup, be he ignores it. I will give it a few weeks and if I never see him on it, I'll take it out. I also purchased a Betta floating log, gonna see how that works out. He might take to it, well see. Now that my water is calmer due to a filter switch, he is all over the place, hiding in places I've never seen before. Its interesting to see really. Because he's still new, when I go into the room, he'll dart behind his plants. When I sneak in I have to make a concerted effort to locate him because he'll be in the thick of it. I can safely assume that Brad Pitt thinks he's went from a tiny cup to the wild, and fell asleep during the plane ride. It's actually great to see. I've considered tank mates, however, I think Mr. Pitt deserves his own.
Armyguy03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:11 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

I think they will lay on almost any kind of plant that they can fit their bodies on. One of mine laid on an IAL leaf until it sank. Lol
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:19 PM   #8 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Carter lays on IAL too.
Old 12-23-2012, 03:21 AM   #9 
Blue Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armyguy03 View Post
Def agree. With my first betta I didnt have any silk plants and he would use his hammock. With Brad Pitt he has an overabundance of silk plants to lay, hide, swim, play, and relax in. I have the hammock with the suction cup, be he ignores it. I will give it a few weeks and if I never see him on it, I'll take it out. I also purchased a Betta floating log, gonna see how that works out. He might take to it, well see. Now that my water is calmer due to a filter switch, he is all over the place, hiding in places I've never seen before. Its interesting to see really. Because he's still new, when I go into the room, he'll dart behind his plants. When I sneak in I have to make a concerted effort to locate him because he'll be in the thick of it. I can safely assume that Brad Pitt thinks he's went from a tiny cup to the wild, and fell asleep during the plane ride. It's actually great to see. I've considered tank mates, however, I think Mr. Pitt deserves his own.
LOL about searching for your fish! I've had that problem as well. ;) One of my guys is golden orange with translucent tips on his fins...and several of his silk plants are yellow/orange, and I frequently lose him in them. ;) I've actually wondered on occasion if I've got too many silk plants in there, but my guys seem to enjoy the "challenge" of swimming through and around and into anything they can find... ;) I've got one who seems to think it's his God Given Duty to find ways to fit his body into spaces that are the same size he is. I have to be very careful with decorations and nothing sharp/could hurt him, but it's really funny watching him squeeze in and out of plants and leaves just because he can. ;)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:15 AM   #10 
Armyguy03

Today when I checked on Brad Pitt he was lounging on his Betta Hammock. Looks like since I changed Filters the surface is calm enough for him now. Looks like the Betta Hammock is a keeper!!!
Armyguy03 is offline   Reply With Quote