Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-20-2012, 10:49 PM   #11 
Blue Fish

You can also use plastic drinking cups, the sort that float. Those work just as well as betta logs, and don't cost 11$ each. :) (more like 50 cents for a four pack. ;) You can get them at walmart, some grocery stores, places like that, and since they float, my guys *love* them. Gives them a place to hide near the surface. I'll find them in there making bubble nests and being furtive. ;)

I love the idea about making your own swim throughs with stones and aquarium cement, such a cool idea! I know what my next project will be. ;)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:54 PM   #12 
LittleBlueFishlets

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyalaCookiejar View Post
I just got a ceramic mug for one of my tanks. I'm going to have two one gallon temporary tanks for awhile, until my tanks cycle.
Are you getting those two females from Mo? Yay!
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:00 PM   #13 
LittleBlueFishlets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Fish View Post
You can also use plastic drinking cups, the sort that float. Those work just as well as betta logs, and don't cost 11$ each. :) (more like 50 cents for a four pack. ;) You can get them at walmart, some grocery stores, places like that, and since they float, my guys *love* them. Gives them a place to hide near the surface. I'll find them in there making bubble nests and being furtive. ;)

I love the idea about making your own swim throughs with stones and aquarium cement, such a cool idea! I know what my next project will be. ;)
Do you mean the soft plastic drinking cups? Or are they hard plastic?

I wonder if you can cut the ends off styrofoam cups so they act like open betta logs, too. Hm. (Might have to weigh it down slightly. If so, maybe I can attach a couple of glass rocks.)

Yes, the swim throughs work REALLY well. My guys like hanging out under them, and on top of them. My male VT sits on his all the time. That's how I came up with the idea of making a multi-level one.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:17 PM   #14 
AyalaCookiejar

I actually am hopefully getting three from Mo if I can figure out this stupid PayPal account lol. My dad used one like years ago but of course we don't remember that one... Now it's asking for a bunch of legal documents

I need some of that silicone to start making my own decorations, haha!
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:52 AM   #15 
Blue Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBlueFishlets View Post
Do you mean the soft plastic drinking cups? Or are they hard plastic?

I wonder if you can cut the ends off styrofoam cups so they act like open betta logs, too. Hm. (Might have to weigh it down slightly. If so, maybe I can attach a couple of glass rocks.)

Yes, the swim throughs work REALLY well. My guys like hanging out under them, and on top of them. My male VT sits on his all the time. That's how I came up with the idea of making a multi-level one.
The cups are hard plastic, but they're flexible...so not very thick plastic? They're like cheap plastic tumblers, often times they're holiday themed. The ones I have are snowflake motif...but my fish don't care. ;) I don't bother to cut the ends off of them, as they are wide enough that the bettas don't get stuck, and they don't seem to care that the end is closed. They swim in, turn around, and hang out in there. I almost wonder if they don't prefer the end closed, as it gives them a better place to hide. I'm sure it depends on the fish. :)

Oh, and the tumblers float, but on their side, so they're at the surface, but they're submerged...ugh, that doesn't make any sense. Okay, they're bouyant enough to float, but once the cup is on its side and fills with water (and usually a betta), they stay on their side, allowing the fish to swim in and out, but also able to rest near the surface. :)

Here's a link to some pictures at walmart.com. These are 5$, but you can get the same ones that aren't "patriotic" in solid colors for 99 cents for a 4 pack. :)
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Patriotic-...-Cups/16474701
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:33 AM   #16 
AyalaCookiejar

Oh, those ones! They always have a bunch of little cups in their party section with different themes. I wonder if those ones would float..
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:54 PM   #17 
Viva

Very cool ideas here, keep posting if you have more! This really attracts my creative side..
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:51 PM   #18 
Friendlyfishies

I use terracotta pots of all sizes (holes covered) as well as smooth river rocks and colored gems all from the craft store.
Friendlyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 06:34 PM   #19 
LittleBlueFishlets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Fish View Post
Oh, and the tumblers float, but on their side, so they're at the surface, but they're submerged...ugh, that doesn't make any sense. Okay, they're bouyant enough to float, but once the cup is on its side and fills with water (and usually a betta), they stay on their side, allowing the fish to swim in and out, but also able to rest near the surface. :)

Here's a link to some pictures at walmart.com. These are 5$, but you can get the same ones that aren't "patriotic" in solid colors for 99 cents for a 4 pack. :)
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Patriotic-...-Cups/16474701
Yes, it actually did make sense. LOL They fill with water, but remain near the top of the tank.

Thanks for posting the link. I know exactly what type of cupts you're talking about now, and I'm going to pick up some for my guys.
Old 12-21-2012, 06:38 PM   #20 
LittleBlueFishlets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viva View Post
Very cool ideas here, keep posting if you have more! This really attracts my creative side..
It can become almost as addictive as bettas. LOL

Today's project: I had a silk plant that was too short, so I siliconed it to the top of a rock swim-through.