Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-22-2012, 12:04 AM   #21 
AyalaCookiejar

I actually bought a silk terrarium plant (Exo-Terra Ficus jungle plant by Hagen) for my sorority tank. It is long and has a suction cup on it so I'm hoping it will sink and I can use it to cover up the cord from the heater or something. I won't complain if it floats, either, lol. I'm really wanting to try those tumbler cups though, too, but I don't think I will use them for the sorority tank, lol.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 02:48 AM   #22 
Blue Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBlueFishlets View Post
It can become almost as addictive as bettas. LOL

Today's project: I had a silk plant that was too short, so I siliconed it to the top of a rock swim-through.
What sort of silicone/adhesive are you using? Is it just aquarium cement? I've used hotglue for things before (it's non-toxic, so I knew it was safe for fishies) when I've made dividers, but I don't believe it would hold rocks and things for making swim-throughs. (I'm definitely going to try that idea out, sounds like so much fun. :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 02:51 AM   #23 
Blue Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyalaCookiejar View Post
I actually bought a silk terrarium plant (Exo-Terra Ficus jungle plant by Hagen) for my sorority tank. It is long and has a suction cup on it so I'm hoping it will sink and I can use it to cover up the cord from the heater or something. I won't complain if it floats, either, lol. I'm really wanting to try those tumbler cups though, too, but I don't think I will use them for the sorority tank, lol.
If it does float and you decide you want to make it sink, you can attach fishing weights to it as a base. :) I've done that before for plants that had those awful bases that are meant to be "buried" under the gravel and don't weight the plant down on their own. :)

I'd wondered about terrarium plants before, good to know they're safe! :) They're usually much bigger, and cheaper for the size as well, so this is great to know. :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 02:58 AM   #24 
AyalaCookiejar

Yes I've seen many reviews of people who have used terrarium plants in aquariums and also saw one where someone directly contacted Hagen and they said the plants were safe for aquariums..
Old 12-22-2012, 12:06 PM   #25 
LittleBlueFishlets

Quote:
Yes I've seen many reviews of people who have used terrarium plants in aquariums and also saw one where someone directly contacted Hagen and they said the plants were safe for aquariums..
Oh cool! I saw them in Petsmart and really wanted to get one, but I was concerned it about the effects of fulling submerging them.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 12:14 PM   #26 
LittleBlueFishlets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Fish View Post
What sort of silicone/adhesive are you using? Is it just aquarium cement? I've used hotglue for things before (it's non-toxic, so I knew it was safe for fishies) when I've made dividers, but I don't believe it would hold rocks and things for making swim-throughs. (I'm definitely going to try that idea out, sounds like so much fun. :)
Loctite Clear Silicone Waterproof Sealant. It's specifically marked "aquarium safe." I got it at Lowes for about $4.50. The tube is big, so it'll last me a really long time, too.

Also, I needed to disinfect everything after a fish died recently. I put the decorations I'd made with this sealant into boiling water -- and it held absolutely fine. So it's definitely durable.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:17 PM   #27 
LittleBlueFishlets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Fish View Post
If it does float and you decide you want to make it sink, you can attach fishing weights to it as a base. :) I've done that before for plants that had those awful bases that are meant to be "buried" under the gravel and don't weight the plant down on their own. :)

I'd wondered about terrarium plants before, good to know they're safe! :) They're usually much bigger, and cheaper for the size as well, so this is great to know. :)
What are fishing weights made of? I haven't used any because I wasn't sure of this, and I didn't want anything like lead in the tank....

When I wanted to sink a silk plant, I just attached it to a river rock, with a dab of aquarium-safe silicone. I think this silicone is my new best friend. LOL
Old 12-22-2012, 12:20 PM   #28 
AyalaCookiejar

Honestly I would be pretty excited if the terrarium plant floated to give them some hiding spots at the surface...
Old 12-22-2012, 12:37 PM   #29 
LittleBlueFishlets

Quote:
Honestly I would be pretty excited if the terrarium plant floated to give them some hiding spots at the surface...
Let us know if it does. I've been looking for good floating silk plants.
Old 12-22-2012, 01:02 PM   #30 
AyalaCookiejar

From the reviews it sounds like it may not... However I have a lot to set up before I test it out.