Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-23-2012, 02:51 AM   #31 
Blue Fish

For floating silk plants, I've used the fall leaf sprays they sell at walmart. You can cut the leaves off of the wire stems, and then hot glue them together into lines or bunches, and they'll usually float flat on the surface. If they won't float then you can take ribbon, sew the ribbon onto a portion of the bundle, and then use clothes pins to attach the ribbon/leaves to the side of the tank, and they'll float at or near to the surface. My guys love them, they all hide under there and blow their bubbles.

Not sure what fishing weights are made off...I haven't used them myself, but I saw them recommended for weighing down home-made sponge filters. The river rock and sealant sounds like a safer idea though! :)

Oh, and thanks for the adhesive information!! :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 05:28 AM   #32 
homegrown terror

in one of our tanks we use this: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Anchor-Hocking-Cruet/16524257 we filled it 1/2 full with topsoil, and planted some el nino fern in it. it looks wonderful, but you have to be careful to position it near the outlet of your filter so that it gets water circulation down into the bottom.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:58 AM   #33 
ravenwinds

I have old crystal (lead tested and safe) candy dishes, upside down, making a hiding spot, vases on their sides, even had this blue glass basket complete with handle, probably for toothpicks as is only 2-3inches (planted an anubias in there).
I have river rock, cleansed, and some gorgeous shells (gotta watch hardness with some shells).
In my 2g or less, I will use silk plants but all my others are NPTs so I've gone the other way, using lots and lots of live plants....another major obsession!
I will be setting up a divived tank for 3 or 4 males....guess I'll be trying another use with my super sized silicone....river rock brighes, swim throughs, etc! Great tips, thank you!
ravenwinds is offline   Reply With Quote