Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-20-2012, 02:22 AM   #1 
Saphira101

GRRRRR... algae!

Hi guys, Saphira here.
I need some advice for my Betta Peach's tank. it's just always slimey! I installed a new sponge filter, I also do weekly water changes w/ vacuuming but after five days or so it goes back to normal. I thought that it might be the floating plants, so I cleaned them. but guess what? 4 days later it's just like before; slimey, green and gross. here are pics:
slimey wall:
Name:  photo(12).jpg
Views: 120
Size:  53.1 KB
slimey plants:
Name:  photo(13).jpg
Views: 119
Size:  40.9 KB
slimey gravel:
Name:  photo(11).jpg
Views: 118
Size:  60.4 KB
slimey sponge filter:
Name:  photo(10).jpg
Views: 119
Size:  65.8 KB

what should I do? should I perform a 100% water change, clean out the gravel with a sieve, seriously wash the plants, and scrub out the tank? but that would just crash my cycle, wouldn't it? oh, please help! I have never dealed with this before!
Thank you so much, ~Saphira
Saphira101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 02:25 AM   #2 
Kithy

The best thing to do about algae aside from get a scraper is to reduce the amount of light your tank is getting. If it's a big enough tank you can look into a compatible algae eater (small pleco, snail, etc.). I can't really say what a good algae eating companion is for your betta but mine seems okay with a mystery snail although it does up your bioload a bit.

Algae can be tough to get rid of. There are some chemicals you can get to reduce it but I've never used them. I scrubbed and my snail does the rest. I have a bristlenose pleco who keeps it under control in my 55.

Good luck :3 It really don't hurt anything, it just doesn't look so great! Algae scrubbers are pretty cheap but you need to get one for the type of tank you have (glass, acrylic...)
Kithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 02:43 AM   #3 
Saphira101

Thanks. :) It's a 10 gallon glass aquarium. however, there is still a lot of waste under the gravel no matter how much I vacuum.. how can I deal with that?
Old 12-20-2012, 02:54 AM   #4 
Kithy

You could try a smaller vacuum so you can clean it longer without draining your tank. As long as your ammonia levels aren't up the waste shouldn't be causing a problem.

You truthfully don't need any kind of substrate, especially if your tank is already cycled. Most of your bacteria would be in a filter if you have one. So substrate is mostly just for aesthetic purposes :) If you find it to be more trouble than it's worth you can either remove it entirely or switch to maybe large "betta stones" as some stores call them. Gravel drove me nuts cleaning it and I was very OCD about getting every last strand of poo lol
Old 12-20-2012, 09:56 PM   #5 
Saphira101

what I'm wondering is if I would be able to clean out the tank, do a 100% water change, wash the gravel, and replant it without doing harm to Peach. Is this even remotely possible?
Old 12-20-2012, 10:57 PM   #6 
Saphira101

I want to get it all clean for when I (soon) divide it and get another Betta.
Old 12-21-2012, 12:59 AM   #7 
Kithy

It's possible but what reason do you want to clean it completely? If it's for the algae it will always come back unless you change the type of light or reduce the light.

Make sure you quarantine your new fish for one week before introducing it to your split tank and watch for any abnormal behaviors.

It won't harm your fish just be sure you do not use any kind of soap to clean anything. Hot water only. You can use a mix of vinegar and water but I'm not sure on the portions of that solution. A good rinse should do a fine job.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:14 AM   #8 
Setsuna

lol its the light and the plants
Setsuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:16 PM   #9 
Saphira101

thanks guys, I have noticed that my particular type of lighting/plants seems to make the algae grow really fast! I think that incandescent bulbs grow less algae than fluorescent, because I have a 10 gal. non-filtered tank at the same temp, same amount of fish and no filter, and it has been established longer even, but it has incandescent rather than fluorescent bulbs, and frill and ludwigia rather than the floating plants that I have with Peach. it, however, has a lot less algae. I do just as many water changes/vacuuming that Peach's. I think that I'll clean out Peach's tank completely with hot water, replant it, move my floating plants somewhere else, and switch to incandescent lighting. I am not lying when I say that the algae just gets worse every day.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:23 PM   #10 
Kithy

I believe you. When I had my 10g for the goldies I was fighting algae every day. Had one sword two goldfish and filtration with incandescent. Could not control it @_@

And now in my 55gal I can't seem to grow it /headesk

What a lot of people do is they only allow it to grow on the back of the tank. You can scrape off algae from the front and sides and let it go on the back. It provides a snack if your fish likes munching as well as some positive affects on your water quality.