Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-28-2012, 07:25 PM   #1 
txbettaowner

First HalfMoon male betta I ever owned. Anything I need to know that might happen?

I do own bettas but they are all female (5 of them to be exact) in a 10 gallon tank. I just bought my first HalfMoon male. I have him in a 1.5 gallon tank that I have had until I can go get him a 2.5 gallon tank which is tomorrow. Is there anything I should know about what could happen? He looks like he has some fin rot which I am treating with API aquarium salt. I have added API stress coat also in the water. He has been flaring at his own reflection which I know is normal. He looks great. I got him from Petsmart which he was a lot cheaper than the males are at Petco. I got him for $8 where I would have had to pay $10-23 depending on what their price was for a HalfMoon male.
Attached Images

txbettaowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:30 PM   #2 
veggiegirl

Hey there,

What a beautiful halfmoon boy!!! I cannot believe he only cost you $8!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The cheapest halfmoon I have bought cost $30 and I have paid up to $55. You cannot even get veiltails for $8 here!!!!!!!!!!!! You are so lucky. Your boy should be fine but get him a bigger tank as soon as possible and also Halfmoons can be more prone to bacterial infections because their fins are so huge so keeping his water nice and clean/regular water changes is a must.
veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:32 PM   #3 
txbettaowner

I plan to. Either a 2.5 gallon or a 5 gallon is what I plan to buy. So he has plenty of room to swim and FLARE lol
Old 12-28-2012, 07:40 PM   #4 
veggiegirl

lol that's good! The bigger the tank the better for halfmoons because their huge fins can make swimming a tad difficult. I usually find that they have trouble turning and require a bit of space to do so.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:44 PM   #5 
txbettaowner

Well I am looking at the tanks and I am finding this one to be a great one just gotta buy a heater for it.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...AvailInUS%2FNo
Old 12-28-2012, 08:00 PM   #6 
veggiegirl

That tank looks good, I am sure he will be happy in there. Because the glass is curved/rounded do you think it would be difficult to attach a heater to the glass? Might not be especially if it is suction cupped vertically, I haven't had a rounded tank before but it looks great.