Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-20-2012, 07:44 PM   #1 
birdielikestomatoes

Just a bit of panic and a need for advice.

So I went downstairs to feed Steve, who is in my very cold basement boudoir, and as always I checked the thermometer and it was at 70 F! So I went into full blown panic mode, ran upstairs, gimpy foot aside, grabbed a cup and well he's now floating in the 10g.

Anyway, once I got him floating the panic receded and I got a spare thermometer and checked the temp closer to the top (top right corner pretty close to heater) and it was 78 F, much more usual. However the temp on the other thermometer (bottom left corner) was still 70F, I moved it closer to the top and the temp went up to 75F. I can only assume that the strange temperature zones is because my filter broke yesterday and now the heated water isn't getting to all corners.

I've ordered a new filter on amazon but in the mean time should I keep Steve in the empty side of my 10g or put him back in his tank and just hope he doesn't get too stressed out over the weird temperature spots?
birdielikestomatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:53 PM   #2 
bryanacute

Yikes. Maybe to keep him warm, find the area with his normal temp and seperate/block him from the other areas
bryanacute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:10 PM   #3 
AlphaBetta1

Could you move his tank to a more heated place in the house?
AlphaBetta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:34 PM   #4 
birdielikestomatoes

There isn't really anywhere to put his tank. He has a 100w heater, so usually this isn't a problem but it just seems like since there isn't any water movement the heat isn't spreading to all corners of the tank. After playing with the thermometer it seems like the temp in the tank can vary from 70F to 80F depending on how close it is to the heater.

When the filter was working the temperature was uniform all throughout the tank.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:34 PM   #5 
birdielikestomatoes

Any idea of what I should do? Should I keep him in the empty half of the 10g for about a week until I get his new filter? It seems more logical than keeping him in his 6g with so many different temperature zones, but I just like to have more than just my opinion.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:36 PM   #6 
bryanacute

If you could set up a smaller tank with a heater and filter in a warmer area that might help.
bryanacute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:48 PM   #7 
Blue Fish

I know mine tend to stay close to the heater when I was having similiar problems, so I never worried about them unduly...but my temp changes weren't *that* significant either. I'd keep him in the 10 gallon, does he have to stay in a cup, or can he be in a larger plastic container floating, so he's got a bit more space? That seems like your safest option to keep him from being stressed.

Good luck to you!!
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:20 PM   #8 
birdielikestomatoes

I do have a hospital/quarantine container I could place him in, I'm just reluctant to do that.

The 10g is divided in half, currently only one half is being used for Hilda. There's is plenty of hiding places on each side so I wouldn't worry too much about them being stressed out.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:32 AM   #9 
AlphaBetta1

I think the 10 gallon divided should be fine, as long as its heated properly on both sides.
AlphaBetta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:19 AM   #10 
OrangeAugust

Was the one that read 70 flat against the glass?
One of my tanks had thinner plastic sides and my thermometers are those magnetic ones that lie flat against the glass. One time I was getting a below normal temp, but when I took the thermometer off the glass, the temp went up. I thought there was something wrong with my thermometer, so I tried it with another thermometer, and it read the same temp until I put it against the side again and it went does- then I realized that it was actually reading the temp outside the tank. If your tank is glass or thicker plastic it's not a problem, but that particular tank was cheaper quality and caused the thermometers to read the outside temp. Could this be happening to you?
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote