Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-20-2012, 09:12 PM   #1 
lillyandquigly

How do you care for baby bettas

I would like to know because I am setting up a shopping list for a tank I am going to get, thanks
lillyandquigly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:26 PM   #2 
babystarz

A 3-5 gallon tank would be ideal for the baby's future needs, so I would go ahead and get something that size with a sponge filter powered by an air pump. There is no way babies can be injured by sponge filters , while HOB type filters that normally come in aquarium kits have a lot of areas that would need to be modified to prevent injury/death.

Babies also need to feel secure, so I would highly recommend you get a couple of easy to care for live plants (anubias and java fern are pretty hard to kill), but if you're not up to that go with silk plants that are have lots of cover for the baby to hide in. You want to prevent any large open areas in your tank that will make the baby feel vulnerable.

A cavelike shelter or two is also a good idea to have so the baby can hide. Anything will do as long as there are no sharp edges.

Babies need very clean water and this means lots of water changes, so you may prefer not to use any type of gravel or sand in the tank at first, to make things easier on you.

Babies need consistent heat so an adjustable heater and thermometer are musts. 80-82 degrees is a good temperature range for babies.

Make sure you have basic first aid remedies on hand; aquarium salt, epsom salt, stress coat, some Indian Almond Leaf if you have access to it.

And of course be sure to use an excellent water conditioner. Babies are very sensitive to ammonia so I would recommend Prime.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:28 PM   #3 
sandybottom
Reference Team

water test kit. 2.5+ gallon tank min. water conditioner, good quality food. substrate and rounded non-sharp deco. a tank heater, preferably an adjustable one. and aquarium salt to have on hand for emergencies.
sandybottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:30 PM   #4 
lillyandquigly

anything else?
Old 12-21-2012, 03:05 PM   #5 
lillyandquigly

I have a large tank that will end up being the baby's permenant home. I plan on having both tanks be planted with live plants. Anything else? I would like to be very extremely prepared!
Old 12-22-2012, 10:14 PM   #6 
Viva

Live or frozen food like baby brine shrimp, daphnia, bloodworms are very good sources or protein and should be used along with crushed pellets.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 04:26 PM   #7 
lillyandquigly

Ok, also is there anyway at all with baby bettas to tell what your getting?
Old 12-23-2012, 04:40 PM   #8 
MSG

Just pay attention to the fins when you're at the store.

Do NOT buy the ones that have genetic deformities or have any issues.

I looked about 14 different ones on Friday & I could clearly tell which tail types they are. Veils & crowns in my store.

Only 2 of the feistier fry caught my attention, but after I thought about it. I already have fry from my own spawn. Mine are clearly healthier, smaller & cute so I left.

One thing you could do is bring a little food from HOME & drop it in the cup to see if they'll eat it.

Nothing worse than a picky eating betta.

I've never fed mine BBS, but they've eaten mosquito larvae I had frozen from this past summer. Literally took them over 1 month since they hatched before they started to realize I was offering them food. Before they started to pick at the food I provided, the snails cleaned up all the bits of food they REFUSED to eat.
  • StarZ pretty much covered it. Filter & heat are key points. Wrap the intake of the filter really well.

You've been a member of this forum longer than me, so you should be able to tell the subtle differences in the bettas.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 04:53 PM   #9 
lillyandquigly

I know, I just thought you couldn't sex the tiny babies. Which you can't right?
Old 12-23-2012, 05:40 PM   #10 
lillyandquigly

Anything else I should know? I want to be fully prepared so any tips you have from raising baby bettas yourself will be appreciated.