Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-20-2012, 09:04 PM   #1 
BettaLinz

HELP! Curing dropsy?!

Hello all. My betta fish, Sparky, came down with a sickness about 2 weeks ago. He had a swollen lip and looked bloated. I treated him with E.R Erythromycin and epsom salt and fasted him for a week. Well, his lip got better. But what I thought was bloating and constipation, did not. In fact it is slowly getting worse. I have been changing 50% of his water and adding epsom salt every day since he got sick and I have kept his tank warm. I also have done a 100% water change 3 times in the last 2 weeks in addition to all the other water changes. I now believe that he has dropsy.. He has developed swollen eyes and his scales are starting to raise a bit. I recently started him back on the erythromycin yesterday and he has 2 more days to complete his 2nd round of medication. What else can I do to help cure him? I really love my little Sparky and I want him to recover. If he did not look swollen I would not even know he was sick... he is still swimming around, eating, and flaring at his own reflection. I believe the water changes have helped slow the symptoms because I have been so consistent with them. It is still early, so I think he has a chance if I can act quickly. PLEASE HELP!
BettaLinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:27 PM   #2 
callistra

Switch to Kanaplex, Maracyn Plus (not to be confused with Maracyn or Maracyn II) or furan 2. How much epsoms are you using? You can use 1-3tsp per gallon. I'd use at least 1 tsp at this point

Can you share photos?

ETA: I found your old thread.. http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=122198&page=5 It was already suggested you increased epsoms. If he's in a 10g he can be raised to at least 10 tsp of epsoms in the 10g. Some people will do more. I've never needed to, but that's your call.

Last edited by callistra; 12-20-2012 at 09:30 PM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:51 PM   #3 
BettaLinz

I literally JUST ran out to the store and got Maracyn II, so that is what I will have to use. I treated him yesterday with Erythromycin and again today around an hour ago. When can I start treated with the new medicine? I really dont want to wait 2 days to finish the 4 day treatment he is on now... he is obviously starting to pinecone.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:22 PM   #4 
BettaLinz

Anyone?!?
Old 12-20-2012, 10:23 PM   #5 
sunlight

I would use 3tsp/gall of the epsom salt . Epsom salt is very mild and tolerable by bettas so i would increase the dose. Especially if he is pineconning I also would do 100% daily water changes if you can put him in the hospital tank so it easier for you to change his water. Don't use filter because you don't want too much water movement.Is it his stomach bloated or it on his side? The reason i ask it because i saw one post where betta had big bump on his side and scales were raised on that side from bloating- it was tumor.
You can use medications along with epsom. Also if you have stress coat API it will help. I actually saw one post where someone was treating fish with the same symptoms with salt and Maracyn and daily water changes and it helped. That person was doing 25% daily water changes and 100% every other day in the hospital tank though. And i think then she switch to daily 100% water changes.
Too much medications though. Do you want me to find that thread?
sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:30 PM   #6 
BettaLinz

Yes please! Thanks!
Old 12-20-2012, 10:42 PM   #7 
callistra

Maracyn II has next to no chance of working on dropsy. This is minocycline. Sorry. Erythromycin had some chance. Treatment for 2 weeks on average. Follow the instructions on the box..

Quote:
For best results, remove activated carbon or filter cartridge from filter and continue aeration. For each 10 gallons (38L) of water, empty one packet directly into aquarium. Repeat dose after 24 hours. Wait another 24 hours then change 25% of the aquarium water. Repeat this treatment for a second time, for a total of 4 doses. Then make a final 25% water change and add fresh activated carbon or replace filter cartridge. Treatment may be repeated, if necessary.
You keep doing this for up to 2 weeks. If he's not turning around after the 4 doses or he takes a really sharp nose dive you'll need one of the meds I outlined above.

Last edited by callistra; 12-20-2012 at 10:45 PM.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:44 PM   #8 
sunlight

Well i did found the thread i will post it for you, but it a little weird unless she did mistake when she wrote it. She actually , i just read, treated him with Maracyn II, stress coat and aq salt. I don't want to confuse you. For dropsy you really need Epsom salt. So don't switch to aq salt. Or at least ask that person which salt she used. I think she might just confused between epsom and aq salt. I confused myself because usually if betta is bloated aquarium salt will make it worse . So use medications and epsom salt 3tsp/gall. And i would recommend to do daily water changes or at least alternate between 50% and 100% . You can redose required dose of medications with each change.
Any way there is the link. Make sure you acclimate your betta to new water when you do 100% water changes so you don't shock him with drastic temp change
check thread #8 and #10
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=121297
sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:48 PM   #9 
callistra

If you've got the betta in 10 gallons of water is it not necessary or practical to do 100% daily changes. Just keep the filter going, minus the carbon and stick to weekly changes. Just keep a good test kit on hand as the meds will likely hurt the cycle and it's possible you may need to increase the water changes to accommodate. If you're treating in a hospital tank and floating (which is ideal) you can do daily water changes along with the redosing of meds and salts.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:31 PM   #10 
BettaLinz

I can probably run out and get maracyn plus tomorrow. Can it be used with erythromycin?