Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-20-2012, 09:08 AM   #1 
ChibreneyDragon

Unhappy Betta Crisis- Everything I touch dies!

Ok. I used to breed betta fish for years before I joined the military. I moved down to South Carolina, and missed my betta babies, and got a cute lil doubletail. It died before the day was out. I tried again, checking the water chemestry, and being careful bringing the new one home. The white VT seems content. Two days later, bottom up. I am frustrated. I buy a new tank, double check the spring water, and get a gorgeous halfmoon DT. He stays alive. Good. Two weeks pass, I get a cute yellow VT. They are both happily swimming. Next full water change... The DT dies. I cried a little. The VT stays alive for another month.

What am I doing? I check the water chemestry each change, they both had gallon tanks, I gave them a regular diet between blood worms and pellets, regular temp at 77... I am at a loss. Is it the store I am buying from? Or do I have death fingers? I am afraid to get another. My tanks have lain empty for four months now.
ChibreneyDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:13 AM   #2 
Zappity

You say you're using Spring Water? That could be it, as it doesn't have any nutrients in it. Why don't you try tap water and condition it with stress coat? Before you get another one, clean everything in the tank REALLY good with really hot water and maybe a little white vinegar. Then rinse it REALLY REALLY good and try again. BTW, what size is the tank?
Zappity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:14 AM   #3 
chrissylee13

oh nooo! i'm so sorry to hear about your troubles. :[ it could possibly be the store you're buying from. i had a little spell where a few of my bettas died before a week was over. ugh. so now i'm REALLY careful of which ones i get.

you didn't mention conditioner though, are you using one?
chrissylee13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:15 AM   #4 
chrissylee13

oh and i agree with the spring water! totally forgot about that.
chrissylee13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:25 AM   #5 
ChibreneyDragon

I was using betta plus conditioner, I used tap water the first time, smelled really strongly of chlorine. I was using the same brand of water from when I bred fish, but they may have changed how they proccess their water. Ugh. Thank you... I am going to shop around for a different store, though, before I try again. Their tanks are 1 gal shallows with bottom filters.
Old 02-20-2012, 09:30 AM   #6 
fishman12

If you need to use spring water then add stress coat to it to add some nutrients.
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:45 AM   #7 
Fieldz

Just use tap water and treat it with Tetra Bettasafe or another one. I like to use bettasafe because it heals the betta fins and slime fast.
Fieldz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 12:51 PM   #8 
Myates

Poor you, and poor fishies..

It most likely is the store you are getting them from.. what I call "New Fish Syndrome".. basically they die soon after purchase for unknown causes. It happens a lot unfortunately, especially stores that purchase from mass breeders (which is most).

Agree, tap water with water conditioner..

For a 1 gallon, you necessarily don't need a filter, as you won't be able to hold a cycle in something that size. I would say dump the filter and do 1 50% and 1 100% water change per week.. otherwise recommended with filter for that size is 1 50% water only, and 1 50% substrate vacuuming per week.. which can be tricky in a 1 gallon.

I am assuming you are using a heater? If not, the temps may be fluctuating too much during day/night, which can cause stress/shock when it's too great and too quick.

You don't need to use Stress Coat.. I don't like to use it as my main conditioner as it lacks certain elements and protection as others (see signature link). I personally only place in a couple drops if needed along with my regular conditioner. Stress Coat is safe to use, haven't had issue with it over the last 17 years.. but it doesn't protect from chloramine and ammonia (not all will, it's just a personal preference).
Personally, the ideal ones to use are Seachem Prime, Tetra AquaSafe and AquaScience Ultimate.

Again, I'm sorry you are having troubles with your little ones.. wish there was an answer, but it could of been anything from internal parasites, to rot, etc that came with them. One thing to keep in mind, even though we want to "rescue" the ones who are the smallest, thinnest, who are missing fins, etc.. we can't always. Look for one(s) that are swimming and moving actively, who doesn't have black edging on their fins that look crusty and flaking off.. don't get the overly skinny ones, as they may just be hungry, or they may have internal parasites (I am assuming you know this stuff from your breeding experience.. this was also to help others when picking out new fish :) ).

Good luck, and I hope you don't give up on them.. as since you have had them in the past, you know how wonderful these little ones can be.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 01:54 PM   #9 
Oldfishlady

Dang the luck.....it can be so frustrating when you have unknown deaths like that.....but don't give up.....since you have already received good information from others I won't go into some info...

One question I have....how did you acclimate the Bettas to your source water and with the 100% water changes....sometimes with an already compromised Betta the smallest chemistry change can be fatal.

What are the water pram numbers of tank water and source water without any additives-for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH and KH/GH if you have that too and what kind of testing products are you using

What kind of additives are you using and have you added/used any type of medications.

Do you work with any chemicals or any new chemicals used in the house, are the tanks kept near the kitchen or bathroom, do you wash your hands before working on the tanks or feeding the fish(I am sure you do)-this is to help rule out environmental causes/contamination...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 04:05 PM   #10 
ChibreneyDragon

I just had a huge post that got deleted. *sigh*

Anyways. I am across country visiting family, so I dont know what test strip brand I had. But when I restart, Im thinking I am going to start keeping a log book again like I did for my spawning tanks.

My husband is paranoid that my "Betta Madness" will kick back in. But if that is what it takes to keep my pretties healthy, then he will just have to deal with me taking over the spare bedroom!

Thank you for the product suggestions! I dont feel confident in my knowhow after that long line of losses. And I sure am glad to have found this site. Before I didnt have any way to ask for help if an entire spawning went bad.