Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-22-2012, 08:02 PM   #21 
asukabetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
I know IAL is not a live plant. Its not only an additive. Bettas love to hide in them and use the bottom.
I was explaining it to the new member, just in case. I'm sure you already knew about it :)
asukabetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:04 PM   #22 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Oh okay.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:44 PM   #23 
Saphira101

forgot to mention, here's a link to a great sticky on DIY filter baffles :)
Saphira101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:07 PM   #24 
Friendlyfishies

I dont have time to read the other responses sorry if this was already said, id say baffle the filter to slow the current and the suction, my long finned boy became very depressed until I baffled his filter correctly, hes been lively for weeks and stopped biting his tail. Also adding some fake or live plants may help to liven him up. Some get stressed from moves, but i think youd be suprised as to how he livens up with some changes to his environment. 9 times out of 10 my bettas are only corner dwellers when something in their environment upsets them (such as current, no place to hide, nothing much to explore et) and hes probably getting exhausted fighting the water current. Theyre usually eager to get out and about in a new place and check out every stone and pebble.
Friendlyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:44 PM   #25 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Live plants in filters seem to baffle.
Old 12-25-2012, 01:57 AM   #26 
AyalaCookiejar

Not sure if its been mentioned but I don't see a thermometer. A glass in-tank one with a suction cup would be a good investment! That looks like a tetra preset heater to me.

You could also get silk plants from Walmart and attach them to river rocks with aquarium safe silicone to weigh them down. Many homemade decoration possibilities with aquarium safe silicone! It's generally cheaper than buying aquarium decorations as well. Coffee cups (no soap residue) and plastic cups floating in the water on their side are things I've used for caves that cost me less than a dollar. People also make caves and archways out of river rocks and silicone.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 02:00 AM   #27 
AyalaCookiejar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethyMT View Post
Hi. You've already been bombed with good info. So, I just have one thing to add, which I found helpful.

If you add your decorations and stuff and your fish is still freaking out, you can paper the sides/back of the tank. This helps limit what they can see, so it doesn't look like they are in a big room. I used construction paper, and I'd imagine dark paper is best, but any paper will work to limit the field of view.

I did this when one of my babies went into a big 10 gallon from his sibling tank...he freaked, even though I had tons of plants and places for him to hide (he's not a hider...why his name is Sassypants lol). I put the paper up, and he calmed down. I gradually took the paper down as he got used to his space; now we just have the background and he's fine.
Dark paper would make them able to see their reflection in the glass which would likely stress them out.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 10:40 AM   #28 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Live plants are nice looking and cleaners.