Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-27-2012, 12:29 AM   #1 
Mirage23

New Sorority!

So I just barely added my new female bettas to their tank no more than 3 hours ago. It's a 10 gallon tank with plenty of hiding places. So far they have gotten along and no fighting. They stay together or go their own way. I've seen them swim together in pairs or all three at the same time. So here is my question, since they seem to be getting along so well does this mean they will be like this forever? I haven't observed nipping or intense chasing. I'm new to sororities so I've only read behaviors to expect so. Any advice on my new sorority? Is 10 gallons too much? Are they just putting up a show and are actually going to kill each other at night? Also, my male bettas are a tiny bit bloated. I think I overfed... I might have spoiled them a little bit this Christmas... So do I just fast them for a day or two? No pineconeing , they still look happy as ever just a wee bit bloated and irritated. What should I do? Thank you!
Mirage23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:31 AM   #2 
AyalaCookiejar

Fast the males. Ten gallons is perfect for a sorority but I suggest adding at least one more female. Four is the minimum for a sorority, and aggression will probably happen with only three... Five or six is even better :)
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 01:11 AM   #3 
Mirage23

Thank you! If I went to the pet store tomorrow could I just introduce her and float her bottle and put her in? Or do I have to rearrange everything again?
Old 12-27-2012, 01:11 AM   #4 
aemaki09

They are probably just getting used to their new surroundings before they establish pecking order.
they probably wont always be so calm, but if you have enough decorations and arent over stocked then they more than likely will NOT kill each other either.
Its a delicate balance. My females got along perfectly at first, but eventually they had to establish order, and now the dominant girl is on the hunt a lot of the times trying to find someone to chase. It never escalates, but she definitely makes it known that she is the boss!
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 01:12 AM   #5 
aemaki09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirage23 View Post
Thank you! If I went to the pet store tomorrow could I just introduce her and float her bottle and put her in? Or do I have to rearrange everything again?
I would atleast cup all the other females till she is done acclimating and let the new one in first for a few seconds and then the rest back in, BUT i do suggest that you rearrange just in case!
Old 12-27-2012, 02:17 AM   #6 
Mirage23

Alright definitely look into it
Old 12-27-2012, 11:11 AM   #7 
aemaki09

Goodluck!!!

I'd love to see pictures :)
Old 12-27-2012, 11:21 AM   #8 
LebronTheBetta

Yeah, they won't be at peace together forever. They would have to still go through the pecking order and marking down their territories. (I have a sorority of 6, soon to be 7/8, I know how hard they can fight. lol) Just make sure to QT the new one for a few days and she should be fine. The earliest I've QTd was for one day..lol But she's healthy! :D So just watch out for sickness and make sue to feed the little ones a little bit extra to buff up.

As long as you fast the male he should be fine.. If he doesn't get any thinner, do an premixed epsom salt treatment of 1tsp/gallon in a QT tank and do daily 100% water changes with repeat of ES treatment. Good luck!
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:42 AM   #9 
Mirage23

I'm assuming QT means quarantine? And yes you were right... My blue one (Gyarados) decided she wanted to stop being so passive. I guess the bullied become the bully. I have another questions. How do I feed them? Gyarados and Rogue will go up to eat and try fed fine (except they don't like pellets they will only eat the dried blood worms) but my third one Destiny , a pitch black female, won't come up. She likes to hang out the bottom and likes to rest by the surface. I felt bad because I basically scared her into going to the surface and then fed her. So how do I feed my sorority? And what else can I feed them besides blood worms? I can't imagine having that all the time being a balanced diet. So how can I balance it out? Should I buy a brine shrimp starter culture?

As for my males, they're not bloated anymore but I think I'll still fast them anyway. I heard fasting them once a week was good for them. Am I correct?
Old 12-27-2012, 11:46 AM   #10 
carbonxxkidd

My girls were the same way the first day, just checking out the tank and being fairly peaceful. They've only been in the tank since Sunday and are still getting along pretty well but when I feed them it's kind a WWF brawl, LOL! They chase, tail slap, and nip at each other, but I'm pretty sure they are still setting up their pecking order. There are plenty of plants and places to hide in my tank, and with only a few tiny tears in fins (most heal within a day) I'm not too worried about them. I was also worried they'd kill each other after the lights went off at night, but so far so good.

Good luck! I want to see pictures! :)

By the way, I've been feeding my girls a mixture of flakes, pellets, and frozen foods. I try to spread it out along the top of the tank so they each get some, but it is tough...especially when you have a couple pigs that just gorge themselves and chase the others out of the way! I currently have 8 girls in my sorority, and might be adding more if I find good ones.
carbonxxkidd is offline   Reply With Quote