Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-21-2012, 11:08 AM   #1 
RoMay

Omega One scare

Today I was feeding my betta and I was crushing the flakes before I fed it to her. I was about to drop it when something told me to pull back. When I pulled back I felt something prick my finger; No idea how I didn't notice a bone in the food in the first place. Now to say the least I am freaked out about this and personally I am concerned about anything else in the food that may harm her, or Jabi for that matter. Has anyone else had this happen?

RoMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:36 AM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

OMG! It's a good thing you discovered it! I've never had anything like that to happen to me.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:07 PM   #3 
Option

Wow. Good to know. I was about to try that brand too.

BTW, is that really a bone??
Option is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:09 PM   #4 
DragonFish

I've never had this happen personally, but I have ready several reports about bones being found in Omega One foods before, mostly flakes and mostly tropical flakes. It seems like its not all too uncommon of an occurrence, and I even read one report where a piece of bone ended up killing a Swordtail.

I don't think anyone has had the same problem with the betta pellets(which are recommended over flakes for bettas anyway), but this had made me vary wary of the brand over-all honestly.
I feed all my bettas New Life Spectrum, which is higher quality anyway, and based on reviews and such if I were to have other tropical species of fish I would probably stick with this brand over-all, its quite wonderful.

I would ditch the flakes all together and switch to pellets....I'd be WAY too scared of finding more bones. You could try the Omega One betta pellets, but I would suggest some NLS Betta over it, especially if you're as wary as I am.
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:45 PM   #5 
aemaki09

Wow thats insane!! I've never had it happen to me with pellets or flakes and I've fed it for years to all my tanks, so I dont think its tooo common but I'm definitely going to keep an eye out now, especially since others have said they have heard of it happening.

WOW! thats unbelievable. I wish it was easier to get higher quality foods in my area so I could switch. Omega one is the best, and only 1 store even carries that!
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 01:35 PM   #6 
Option

Quote:
Originally Posted by aemaki09 View Post
Omega one is the best, and only 1 store even carries that!
Well, I'm actually wondering....if that is indeed a bone, then that would imply that Omega actually uses fresh protein (vs processed crap)?
Option is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:02 PM   #7 
Jessa24

I am glad you caught it. I have never had anything like that happen to me. I use Bio Gold betta pellets for my betta. Pellets are supposed to be better than flakes anyhow.
Jessa24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:21 PM   #8 
jeaninel

I once found a whole dragonfly larvae in some freeze dried shrimp. I forget which brand name but regardless, the larvae was freeze dried also. Lol
Posted via Mobile Device
jeaninel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 03:11 PM   #9 
RoMay

Sorry I was sleeping, yes that was/is a bone. I am 110% sure of that, can mail it to you if you like. Kinda hard to mix up plastic and bone. That and I have handled fresh gutted and filet fish before having grew up in the midwest. I should switch her to pellets, if of course, she'd actually eat them this time. This certiantly has me rattled. I know Omega one is the best, it's why someone on this forum, forgot who, recommended me feed it to her besides the flakes I was. Took a few days before her and Jabi gave it a chance, but they were loving it. -_-

@Jeaninel that would leave me running screaming finding something other then shimp in dried shrimp.

@Dragonfish no New Life Spectrum to be found here.
RoMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 03:29 PM   #10 
TheCheese909

I haven't found that before, but I have found acouple little twigs mixed in with my Tetra freezedried BloodWorms. I'm glad you found it!
TheCheese909 is offline   Reply With Quote