Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-22-2012, 09:54 AM   #21 
AyalaCookiejar

I've seen a concern on here also about the Ethoxyquin preservative used in Omega One. Apparently it's the suspected killer of many dogs. They also tested it on lab rats, but I'm assuming in this test they gave the rats a much higher dose of it than any fish or dog would get from their normal food... Not sure how much to believe this.
However, NLS doesn't have it so I feed that, now, as a precaution.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:14 AM   #22 
RoMay

0_o I did not know that about that perservitive.'

Today I tried to give Kaoru pellets (Jabi no issue the fatty). At first she took it in her mouth spit it out put it in her mouth looked like she swollowed it acted like she was gagging then spit it out agian. I pulled it out made two mushy and crushed it up best I could. Same routine till the tiney peices were off my finger the proceeded to try to eat my finger. There is a small pile of two broken up pellets she can get at she's looked at it a few times; still she refuses.

I have one word to describe her right now but I can't say it on the forum XD
RoMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:42 AM   #23 
RoMay

Okay so I finially got an email back from the company:

Quote:
Hi April,

Thank you for contacting Omega One!

I can assure you that your container of food is perfectly fine to feed your fish. Through the use of whole, fresh ingredients there may be some slight variations per container – a small bone being evidence of this. It is unusual to find a bit of bone like you have shown, but the product is perfectly healthy to feed your fish, and in the wild they will actually ingest small bones on occasion. Unlike all other fish food manufactures who use fishmeal, a highly processed and preserved powder lacking natural fats and proteins, we do our best to give your fish the most nutritious diet possible. Again, I can assure you that your product is perfectly safe to feed your beta, feel free to set the piece aside and continue on with your container.

With that said if you could please provide the following information I would be happy to bring your concern to our next production meeting:

UPC Code (12 digits beneath the barcode)
Expiration Date (printed on bottom of can)
Where you purchased the food

Best Fishes and Happy New Year,

Jenna
Customer Care
Omega One
www.omegasea.net
Are they saying it would have been safe to feed that to my Kaoru? YEAH I think that "little bit" of bone would have caused a "little bit of issue" if she'd tried.
Old 12-27-2012, 04:33 PM   #24 
Aside

This makes me nervous. I wish I had seen this earlier. I was at Petco buying food just this morning stood there for a good 5-10 minutes trying to decide between omega one and NLS. Ended up going with Omega kind of regretting that now.
Aside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 05:28 PM   #25 
RoMay

OmegaOne is a good fish food Aside, and one of the best. As said around here pellets are safer then flakes, and really just be careful. There are people who have used this product for while without ever finding what I found. I was just unlucky that is all. This is nothing to start boycotting Omega one over. Now if your a type of person who like me at times absentmindedly feeds her fish then I'd be a little meh. Things happen, and this just was my day.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:11 PM   #26 
AyalaCookiejar

I feed one pellet at a time so I would notice any bones :p I also am pretty sure my new fish is blind. I've been having to use a wooden skewer to move the food right in front of his face so he can eat it :/
Old 12-28-2012, 01:29 AM   #27 
babystarz

I have to say, I'm pretty impressed with the detailed response. At least it shows they care!
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:56 AM   #28 
AyalaCookiejar

In the wild they ingest small bones?

I guess it makes sense, them being carnivores and all, lol. The response is long and seems like they put a lot of thought into it, although it also seems like they tried avoiding the issue a bit. It was more of "Omega One is great" rather than them apologizing and trying to make up for it. If it were me, I really wouldn't be that reassured, but then again, I don't think it would hurt at all to just be a little more careful when feeding. I don't feel that the bone affected the nutritional value of the food, but more just the safety of the fish, which they didn't really address.

I don't know if that made sense. It just felt like a long winded rant lol.
Old 12-28-2012, 02:40 AM   #29 
Tikibirds

Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:55 AM   #30 
Bluewind

Don't worry about her "playing with her food." It's a new food that tastes different, so she is gonna spit it out, try to chew it up a bit, and see if it makes her sick. Don't freak if she goes a day or 2 without eating. It wont kill her and she needs to get use to it before she will really give it a chance. Give her the pellets every day and if she hasn't eaten them in 3-10 minutes (depends on the fish), scoop them out. She will learn that it's that or nothing.

In all honesty, I worried just like you did when Gus wouldn't eat his new food, but a friend of mine explained that to me and it worked. He gobbles it up now!

And reply to his email stating that while they may eat pieces of bone in the wild, this piece was large enough to cause harm to your fish. Get a phone number and call if need be! Just don't let them handle you if you can help it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Bluewind; 12-28-2012 at 03:00 AM.
Bluewind is offline   Reply With Quote