Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-21-2012, 02:07 PM   #1 
MIKEV1

Female egg dropped?

So my female dropped her eggs yesterday when I was at school but she was in a container. But when I put her with they didn't embrace. What am I doing wrong?
MIKEV1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:26 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

I am not sure I understand your question.....

You are trying to spawn your Betta and during the conditioning process-the female dropped her eggs-then you placed her with the male...correct....

First, its not uncommon for a female to drop her eggs-they will do this on a regular bases once they are sexually mature. A female will always have unripe eggs in them and drop and either eat them or not or they will reabsorb them. This can also cause their poop to look white/cream in color for a few days-not to be confused with internal parasites.

Once the sexually mature female detects a male-her eggs will start to ripen as she get ready to spawn. Once the male detect the pheromones from the females ripening eggs-this will trigger his reproduction response.

By having both in the same water so they can sense each others hormones/pheromones can help. If you setup the spawning tank with lots of cover by using either lots of live plants or fake plants so that the female can retreat to rest-Can help prevent premature eggs drops.

The male is ready to spawn at any time-provided that he is healthy and in good condition.
The female-I like to wait at least 3 days between egg drops-regardless if it was from spawning or premature egg drops-Provided that she is healthy and conditioned to start with.

What spawning method are you using, conditioning method...etc....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 03:19 PM   #3 
MIKEV1

Well I don't know what method I'm useing but I conditioned them for 3 weeks on bloodworms
MIKEV1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 07:30 PM   #4 
indjo
TFK Moderator

If the female dropped her eggs before spawning (assuming all have been dropped) she will need to be reconditioned - she will not immediately spawn. I usually give females at least 1 week interval between spawns.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote