Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-21-2012, 02:37 PM   #1 
Devina

Something is very obviously wrong

So this morning my little guy was swimming around and I even woke up to a nice bubble nest that took up a significant part of the top of the tank.
Now he's laying at the bottom of the tank barely moving and it looks like he's gasping for air. He'll swim up to the top frantically every so often and gulp some down before floating straight back down.
The only thing I noticed was one little white speck that COULD be ick forming.
I've only had him since Tuesday so I haven't really got much of a routine or anything down yet but here's what I've got.
1.5g tank (100% water change and I washed out the gravel yesterday) conditioned but not filtered.
Eats 4 aqueon pellets a day.
Tank stays in the mid-80's.
I have no way to check water parameters due to not knowing about it being important until after I had him and haven't been able to get back to get a kit yet (and I'm not sure I could afford one right now.) I wish I could figure out what's wrong so I could at least try to help him. He hasn't acted like this at all since I've had him.
Devina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:54 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

To understand-you got him Tuesday and he was fine until today-he is eating still-but less active and laying on the bottom. Water temp is in the mid 80'sF...so 85-86F correct....

What I would recommend-make a 50% water only change with double dose dechlorinator-and gradually lower your temp to 78-80F at the most. Use an independent thermometer on the replacement water and have the replacement water at about 76-78F-add this slowly to the tank leaving him in the tank for the water change. If this doesn't perk him up...lower the water level by half-turn out the light and hold food for 24h. If he has any other changes or gets worse he may need a treatment.

How did you acclimate him when you first got him and with the 100% water change.

Keep us posted...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 03:07 PM   #3 
Devina

Unfortunately when I first got him I didn't acclimate very well. I followed the directions on the tank and waited 24 hours before putting him in it, keeping him in the temp cup from petsmart.

When I did the water change I had him cupped, and the water in the tank was the same temp and conditioned the same way as the water he was in so I just put him back in the tank when I was done. Should I have done something different?
I'm new and unfortunately learning a LOT the hard way. I'd hate to have done something already that I can't fix. If I'd known how much work I really had to put into this, I probably would have waited until I was better equipped.
Special thanks to the people who told me I had everything I needed, (tank, conditioner, food) but couldn't even manage to mention that betta were tropical fish. (I had to learn that on the internet)
Old 12-21-2012, 03:24 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

We all had to start someplace....so don't be so hard on yourself......

When you acclimate-it is important to acclimate to both the water temp and chemistry by adding small amount of the new dechlorinated tank water to the holding cup over 10-15min or to tolerance. Then net or lower the holding cup (with most of the water poured out) into the tank to release.

While I do recommend test kits-in the same breath-I also say you don't have to have one to keep this species successfully. You can always take your water to the pet shop for a free test. With that said, with most abnormal test results you will do the same thing..."Water change" and in some cases if you wait for a test result...It might be too late......

As long as you are making regular water changes to maintain water quality, not overfeeding and/or leaving uneaten food long term-Your water quality should be fine. Most water quality problems are due to poor quality food, overfeeding and not removing uneaten food within a reasonable time.

As a general rule-anytime your Betta has a change in behavior....Make a 50% water only change (leaving him in the tank) and check your water temp. It is important to rule out water quality and temp as the cause first-then move on to rule out other things.
Old 12-21-2012, 04:06 PM   #5 
Devina

Well got the change done. He perked up for a minute, but then went straight back to moping. At least he doesn't seem AS bad off now? He'll flit around for a few seconds before going back to the bottom instead of just going straight back and staying there for a long time.
Old 12-21-2012, 04:15 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

That might be normal behavior.....The male Betta once sexually mature will establish a territory and generally will stay in one spot, however, usually that is at the surface since they are a surface dwelling, feeding and nesting species. Normally adult males don't do a lot of swimming about-except when they see a challenge to their territory, a female, food or responding to you-since you are the food source.

Does the tank have plenty of hiding places and/or cover to help make him feel more secure-especially something that goes all the way to the top.

Does he respond to you when you approach the tank and is he still eating-what is the water temp now....
Old 12-21-2012, 04:39 PM   #7 
Devina

He doesn't respond to me at all. As of right now there's nothing in the tank except the gravel. I had a fake plant but after watching him catch his fin on it, decided I should probably take it out. I can go pick up something cheap from PS (I've got roughly 17 dollars til the next time I get money)
Old 12-21-2012, 04:43 PM   #8 
Devina

Oh, forgot to put down that the tank was sitting between 80 and 85.
Old 12-21-2012, 04:59 PM   #9 
Devina

Is it possible for fish to have siezures?
Old 12-22-2012, 04:58 AM   #10 
Devina

Update. A good night's sleep seems to have done him good. He's back to normal now.