Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-18-2012, 07:39 PM   #1 
DoctorWhoLuver

Exclamation Weird Lumps

Buffy has a lot of weird lumps/dark patches all over her body. She is by herself in a quarantine tank and was treated with AQ salt for 10 days. I thought it might be columnaris, so I adjusted her heater to 74 degrees, but she's already been like this for over 2 weeks.
There are no other symptoms, just a lot of dark patches over her body. The patches are raised and some of her scales are popping up. However, she is still active and has no other obvious symptoms.
Could this be a tumor? I was originally going to put her in a sorority, but now I'm scared to. Any suggestions would be great.
DoctorWhoLuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:19 PM   #2 
Sena Hansler

Pictures at different angles would definitely help determine what is going on.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:00 PM   #3 
DoctorWhoLuver

Those black patches are not her normal coloring, and the scales over them are slightly raised. Also there seems to be a bit of ick too.
Attached Images

Old 12-19-2012, 12:54 AM   #4 
DoctorWhoLuver

I can't find anything on the internet on this. When I got her a month ago, she did not have this for two weeks. Then, after two weeks, these lumps suddenly appeared. She doesn't seem to be affected any way, but it looks really worrisome. The pictures aren't very good representations of it, but you can kind of see where the scales are raised and the black patches.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:36 AM   #5 
DoctorWhoLuver

Anyone have an idea?
Old 12-20-2012, 07:42 AM   #6 
mahi

I have no idea what this could be.

Fish tubercolosis produces raised scales and dark bumps, but I'm not sure how it looks like.

In any case, I would keep that female in QT.

PS: If it's fish tuberculosis you have to be careful, since it can infect humans in rare cases. Don't put your hands in the tank if you have an open wound for example and carefully wash your hands with soap for a couple of minutes.
mahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:57 AM   #7 
callistra

It's not your fault, but the photo quality is making it hard to really tell much except there is discoloring on the top of her and that she is quite skinny. For all the photo is worth it could just be marbling..

How much/what are you feeding her? I also suggest using a turkey baster to suck the poo out of the bottom and not leave her in that as ammonia will build up much quicker otherwise. What size of tank is she in and what kind of water changes are you doing? You should be doing daily 100% changes while treating for ick.

For pine coning you want epsom salts. It also means the infection has gone internal. Since her poo looks normal (yes? Looks just regular brownish pellet color as far as can be told) I would say treat for bacterial with kanaplex, maracyn plus or furan 2... but better photos would be helpful. You can't continue treating with aquarium salt because she't hit her fill.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:54 AM   #8 
DoctorWhoLuver

It's definitely not marbling, the dark patches are raised. In the second pic, you can see on the side where some of the scales are sticking up. In real life, she looks a little "lumpy". I don't think it's TB, she hasnt lost any weight and does not have any open sores; also her spine is not deformed.
I took the pic in her cup, and she pooped when I was getting stuff ready. The dust in the last few pics is from my sunglasses case which I put the cup on top of. She is currently in a 1 gallon container. And yes, I have already stopped treating her with AQ salt. I am aware of the limit when treating with AQ salt.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:28 AM   #9 
DoctorWhoLuver

I'm just worried that it could be infectious. She's had these "lumps" for about two weeks now and hasn't shown any other symptoms; Buffy also went down the sink drain too (I cried my eyes out, until my dad got her out), and she seems fine. She just has these worrisome patches. Could it be harmless and genetic?
The meds I have on me at the moment are AQ salts, epsom salts, and methnyl blue/malachite green... I want to hold off on the last one as a last resort. My parents don't want to spend money on other meds...
Old 12-21-2012, 02:04 AM   #10 
callistra

Treating with Epsom salt wouldn't be a bad idea. I would't use either of the other two meds. They're for parasites.. She does appear to probably need meds based on description but photos can't tell
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote