Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-21-2012, 10:16 PM   #1 
Armyguy03

Introducing "Brad Pitt"

Hello All,

I am new to the forum, but not to Betta care. I had a betta a few years ago in a 5G tank, and recently decided to obtain another, and up the ante. Therefore, without further ado, I'd like to introduce Brad Pitt, at home in his new 10G tank. I got the tank and Brad from Walmart. I added 9.5 Gallons of Spring Bottled water, and Betta Water conditioner. I baffled the filter using a soda bottle, and all the decor is from Petco, all silk plants, and a faux log. The entire set up took about 1.5 hours (mostly because I kept going back to Petco to get more plants. I also have a Betta Hammock in there, however, Mr. Pit just likes to lounge on his plants, as he has an ABUNDANCE of hiding and relaxing spots. Being that Mr. Pitt is new to the tank, he is still obsessed with trying to figure out the other Mr. Pitt (reflection), and I would surmise that within a day he will relax a bit. I only use Spring water because to me its the best, however, I'm not against tap water. I considered adding other compatible fish to Mr. Pitts home, however, I think he's best alone. In a few years when I am more stable, I plan to upgrade to a 20g and start a sorority. The plan would be similar decor (more silk plants) and the smallest females I can find so they "grow up" together. Bettas are the best in my mind because they are low maintenance, and with proper care (weekly water changes) they can last a long time. There is a lot of great information on this site, and Brad and I am happy to be part of the crew.

A little bit about me: I am a Captain in the U.S. Army (10 yrs), and having a fish tank aides in relaxation.

CPT
Attached Images

Armyguy03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:28 PM   #2 
fleetfish

Lovely betta and tank! Welcome to the forums.
fleetfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:13 AM   #3 
Myates

Fish tanks are fun and can be relaxing :) He is a very pretty fish! Welcome!

I would recommend going to tap when you do your water changes.. don't need to redo it now, just start using tap during your changes and eventually it will convert over. Filtered water lacks the proper minerals (among other things) that is removed during the filtering process that the bettas need to stay healthy (helps keep immune system strong, exposure to certain things will help build immunity to it, etc).

Otherwise, it looks like a wonderful home, and he's a lucky boy!
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:25 AM   #4 
Goldie2nd

He is one lucky guys such a big house all to himself :) and thanks fore your service hope you and Brad Pitt have a lot of years together
Goldie2nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:30 AM   #5 
DragonFish

Welcome to the forum and of course the wonderfully addicting world that is betta keeping! :)

Your setup and Mr. Pitt there are both gorgeous! When it comes to silk plants, I'm such a fan of the ones from Petco; the most fluff for the price, if you ask me, which is great for bettas who love their cover. xD

Had a whole thing typed up about Spring/Tap water by Myates beat me to it. xP So a +1 to that. Tap with a good conditioner like Prime is, most of the time, really the best(and thankfully cheapest).

Have you looked into/are familiar with the nitrogen cycle yet?

Also, hows that heater holding up? I know those Tetra presents can be rather unreliable/break down and stop working fairly easily but a few have reported they work OK for them. For a larger setup like that though, I would still suggest looking into a more reliable, larger adjustable heater with a thermostat in the near future if you can.
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:48 AM   #6 
Armyguy03

Hello All,

Many thanks for the advice regarding Tap Water. I guess I stick with Spring water because unlike Distilled, it is far superior and does not remove all the minerals which can be beneficial for the fish. When I was stationed in HI, my first Betta (in a 5G tank) lived off Distilled water for many months until I had to move and could not take him with me. After reading a few threads I learned that Spring Water is the best. On poster is correct that slowly integrating Tap Water would be okay now, and I likely will during my weekly water changes. My heater is okay, and to be sure I purchased a thermostat from Petco to ensure that temps stay consistant. I check on Brad Pitt daily and do a temp check. I did have to remove the backing because Mr. Pitt was obsessed with fighting his reflection for hours on end. As soon as I removed the blue backing he stopped. I added another faux log, and now I never see Mr. Pitt when I'm in the room because he loves to lounge in his silk plants. I did purchase a floating betta log that should come in the mail next week. My filter really keeps the surface moving, and I want a designated place where I can place his food. This will allow for easy clean up, and keeping the food in one place. I will post more pics when the floating log is set up. For now, many thanks for your advice, and Happy Holidays.

CPT
Old 12-22-2012, 12:28 PM   #7 
Armyguy03

New log.
Attached Images

Old 12-22-2012, 12:29 PM   #8 
Goldie2nd

Love that tank my gosh so preatty!
Goldie2nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 03:07 PM   #9 
Myates

:)

I have one of those heaters (an emergency need and grabbed one at Walmart one time), and am using it in my 10g plant growing tank now - no problems with it so far, why I still use it. Hope it works out good for you :)
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 03:14 PM   #10 
VeilTail

Very nice tank!
VeilTail is offline   Reply With Quote