Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-21-2012, 02:43 PM   #1 
nobiletin

Smile Fin rot and any possible diseases?

Hi, I bought this Delta Tail from a LPS a couple days ago, and have been visiting this forum for care. It seems to me that he has some fin rot, but I'm not sure if I'm right. The lady from the shop commented about how beautiful he is, though she's unable to give out useful info about his health condition Any advice on how to treat him is welcome, also I'd like to know if he has other diseases from picture. Thanks for the help
Attached Images

nobiletin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 04:09 PM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

He is pretty. Its not uncommon for a new Betta to have fin rot. I would just make sure he has clean, temp appropriate, conditioned water & keep an eye on him. If it seems to be getting worse after a few days to a week then some thing else may need to be done. I don't see anything wrong with from the pics other than the little bit of possible fin rot. Out of curiosity what size tank, heated filtered? Have you read about cycling a tank?
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:45 PM   #3 
nobiletin

Yes I'm using a 5 gallon hex tank with heated filter, also using Prime with BettaSafe for conditioner. Actually having quite a trouble choosing background that wouldn't cause reflection, he flares a lot and bangs his head against the tank. I'll wait to see if his tail gets better, haven't started cycling, should I start now or wait?
nobiletin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:51 PM   #4 
callistra

Very pretty :)

You don't need to use Prime and BettaSafe. I would just stick with Prime. However, you could use Prime with Stress coat at 1 ml per gallon to help with fin regrowth for a week or two. Aquarium salt can also help with this. However, you can't use it with live plants and he can't be in it more than 10 days.

Well if you have a fish in your tank with a filter it's cycling. This may be helpful http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=47838
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:00 PM   #5 
shellieca
Reference Team

Oh you're cycling whether you're trying to or not if you're running the filter. He's providing the ammonia. If you don't want to cycle leave the filter off. As for him running into the tank, do you have plants real or silk & caves? I see the one plant in the pic but are there more? Bettas typically prefer rectangular tanks but I'm sure he'll settle in, it may take a little time.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote