Old 12-21-2012, 10:14 PM   #1 
Kestral

Ich?

Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5 Gallons
What temperature is your tank? 73-80
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? No (I might purchase one soon)
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Omega Flakes
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? %50 every two weeks, 100% every month
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? ^
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Stress coat

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? n/a

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? There are these little white spots on his head, and only on his head. There's this white spot on his head as well. None of them are as bright as the itch pictures I have seen... the white spot is only vaguely white. The spots do not appear to be raised. I will upload a picture tomorrow morning.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? It hasn't. He's swimming around, eating...
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Today
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No, but I plan on moving him to a quarantine tank.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? I have no idea whatsoever.

Sorry for the rushed answers, I'm not supposed to be on. D:
Kestral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:17 PM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

LOL to your last comment. It may not be Ich, he could be changing colors as they are known to do sometimes. Yes a pic will be helpful. If it is Ich raising the temp to 86F is, IMO, the best treatment.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:21 PM   #3 
Kestral

After further investigation, I'm pretty sure it's fungus. I'll move him to a quarantine tank tomorrow, and try to purchase fungus eliminator by jungle. What his head looks like is the exact description - the picture as an example looks almost identical to his head.

However... how do I treat fungus? I don't have the medicine right now, and is it even any good?
I have epsom salt, aquarium salt... that's it. /:

Last edited by Kestral; 12-21-2012 at 10:38 PM.
Kestral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:41 PM   #4 
xEclair3x

Your betta might have ich. If you want to treat it with aquarium salt, here's a good guide: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/disease/ich.php.

Yeah, upload a picture and let the community see it. We'll be able to help you better. The white spots might be only on his head for now, but watch very closely for spreading. Right now, heat your temperature to 85-88 degrees (however/if you can) and add the correct amount of aquarium salt per gallon (look on box for instructions). Even if it's fungus, aq. salt won't hurt your fish and will keep your water in better condition. Remember, if you're going to heat your tank, raise the temperature slowly (1-2 degrees per two hours). Plus, do a 100% water change every day for now, and put all of the tank's accessories in boiling water (without your fish). Leave it in the boiling water for 20 minutes before putting it back. Quarantine live plants (in regular water) for a few weeks. And always keep aquarium salt in the tank when your fish is inside.

If you really think it's fungus, go for the treatment. But be very sure that it's fungus. You could actually harm/kill your betta by giving it fungus medicine if it's not the correct diagnosis. I would try the salt and heated water treatment for a few days and see if things improve. That would tell you if it's actually Ich or not. Then, if things don't seem better, go with the fungus treatment. That's just to be on the safe side.

On top of everything, correct tank maintenance and care will prevent Ich. You've got the 50% water change down, but the water is supposed to be changed weekly, not every 2 weeks. That's just too long of a period for the water to get dirty, more bacteria/infection to develop in the water, to bump the ammonia to a deadly level, etc. Your little guy's living in a toxic environment right now... That's how Ich can develop in the first place. Secondly, purchase the water heater as soon as you can. Ich develops easily in cold water. And your betta's a tropical fish to begin with; the water should always be kept at 78-82 degrees. The more constant the temperature, the better. Thirdly, always add the appropriate amount of aquarium salt during water changes. It just keeps the water in better condition and prevents Ich as much as possible. And be sure those Omega Flakes are specifically for Bettas; Bettas have a specific diet and need the correct nutrients and protein. General fish food/ gold fish food is going to end up hurting you Betta. Bettas are naturally carnivores and need a different diet than goldfish flakes (vegetable matter).

Good luck hon; make sure to do your research very carefully, cure your little guy, and maintain his tank correctly.

Last edited by xEclair3x; 12-22-2012 at 08:44 PM.
xEclair3x is offline   Reply With Quote