Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-22-2012, 01:13 AM   #11 
callistra

Well those are all healthy fish. If you google Velvet you will see what that looks like.. gold dust.. Sorry can't be of more help. Here's a rather disturbing but clear picture of it: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=80081
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 01:17 AM   #12 
AyalaCookiejar

Velvet can usually only be seen with a flashlight. I saw a thread a while back with a very good image of what a fish looks like with velvet and it really helped me know what it actually looks like. EDIT: Callistra beat me to it! The picture in that thread is what velvet would look like.

I've seen several other speculations. If it were dropsy, you may also notice that his eyes are swollen and his belly is grey. If he is pineconing, it is almost surely dropsy.

I recently found out that my betta has internal parasites which was causing slight bloating and also uncontrollable buoyancy. I just started treatment last night for internal parasites and today noticed a very long, white poo at the bottom of his tank! His bloat also got worse even when I fasted him for three days, and he had still been pooping during the time that I fasted him. If it is internal parasites, you don't want to fast him as the food will help him get rid of the parasites.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 01:25 AM   #13 
moonsand0wls

Okay so it's probably just colouring! Woops! He looks NOTHING like that! My bad... I hope this treatment doesn't hurt him! :s

And I think the swelling is just from him snacking on a tetra lol.. but he has been bloated once more (he got constipated)

THANK YOU ALL <3
moonsand0wls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 01:28 AM   #14 
AyalaCookiejar

It's probably still a good idea to fast him until the swelling goes down. Good luck to you and your little guy!!
Old 12-22-2012, 01:33 AM   #15 
callistra

He should be okay but I would not continue with the malachite green. glad we cleared that up :)

I would just fast a couple few days and watch to see he is pooping, the poop looks normal (not white clear stringy or segmented) and the belly goes down. If he has not pooped after a few days and/or his belly is not going away you can treat safely and conservatively by adding predissolved epsom salts at 1 tsp per gallon to his tank. They need to be pure with no additives - check the ingredients label. CVS Pharmacy has some, as do most grocery stores. If the poop is not normal then it's most than just overeating and constipation.
Old 12-22-2012, 01:36 AM   #16 
moonsand0wls

Thank you a lot :) I thought it might have been Velvet because it looked like rust.. but I don't have a torch to check that out.. but coming to think of it it's probably just marbling. Random! :P

And thank you, I will do that. I have tonic salt and epsom salt but they are the same thing just under different names... I will use either if his belly doesn't go down - which I'm hoping he does! Little piggy! XD

Thank you!!
Old 12-22-2012, 01:39 AM   #17 
callistra

My understanding is tonic salt is aquarium salt. Aquarium salt and epsom salt are not the same thing. You definitely want epsom salt for constipation and bloating.

Last edited by callistra; 12-22-2012 at 01:41 AM.
Old 12-22-2012, 01:42 AM   #18 
moonsand0wls

Oh, they're the same thing here I'm pretty sure. :) But I will use my EP salt incase!
Old 12-22-2012, 01:57 AM   #19 
AyalaCookiejar

Epsom salt is also very mild and can sometimes be used long-term in chronic bloat cases unlike AQ salt, which can only be used for about 1-2 weeks, so if the problems persist, don't worry too much about the Epsom salt harming him.
Old 12-22-2012, 02:42 AM   #20 
moonsand0wls

Okay thank you. :) I'm hoping this is just a pattern.. but I don't know.. I wish I had a good camera to show you!! Sigh.