Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
View Poll Results: What type of betta do you have?
Male 9 90.00%
Female 1 10.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-25-2008, 10:25 PM   #1 
getlikeme22

Crazy Betta

i just adopted a female betta from a friend that couldn't keep her in his tank any more because she was eating all his fish. i have her in a 1 gallon now with a filter and a heater. the water is about 76 degrees, and she seems to be loving it, she is so active in the tank. her name is "benji" and she eats like a horse, i don't want to overfeed her but she is eating the 8 pellets I am giving her in a matter of like a minute, do i continue to feed her until she isn't interested any more or is the 8 pellets daily fine? :D

getlikeme22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 10:32 PM   #2 
iamntbatman

I feed my betta more like 10 pellets daily, but I feed him twice. Sometimes I feed him frozen bloodworms, frozen tubifex worms, frozen brine shrimp or live blackworms. I substitute these for one of his regular feedings of pellets. I've always read that bettas will gorge themselves until they rupture their stomachs, so definitely don't feed her as much as she'll eat.
iamntbatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 11:35 PM   #3 
getlikeme22

would it be a good idea to get another female betta for her to hangout with?
Old 02-26-2008, 05:56 AM   #4 
Oldman47

In a 1 gallon tank,there is no room for any other fish. If you had something like a 10 gallon, you could have 5 or 6 females if there were plenty of hiding places for them to get away from each other.
Oldman47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 03:23 AM   #5 
studioskim3

you could purchase a 2 gallon tank for ur betta for like $20 at petco... all three of my bettas have at least a 2 gallon... I bought a 14 gallon tank for $40 at petco (not that I'm advertising for them, they're terrible, especially to their bettas, I seen like dozens of bettas dying in their tiny container and when I said something about it, they were just like, we'll replace them in a weak, booo to petco. anyways....) and I want to transfer one of my betta into that tank and give him girls to play with (haha), but I don't know how to properly maintain a large tank like that so we'll see. the 14g tank is cool cuz it comes w/ a filter and a heater and everything and its from a pretty good company but I just have it in my room just lying around cuz I dunno how to maintain it. :(
studioskim3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 07:06 PM   #6 
getlikeme22

ok thanks for your input i now vary my betta's diet by feeding flakes, blood worms, and also pellets and she seems 2 be loving it.
Old 02-28-2008, 07:18 PM   #7 
herefishy
Banned

Variety in any fishes diet is highly recommended. The practice of feeding multiple foods, alternately, keeps the fish in better shape and seems to help with general overall health.
herefishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 10:48 PM   #8 
getlikeme22

last night at 2 in the morning i looked at my Betta and she was WHITE!!!!.... i didn't know what was going on and she wasn't moving a lot by the morning she was red again and had gotten her color back... is my Betta a chameleon?