Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-22-2012, 01:06 AM   #1 
Saphira101

Question How do you sex goldfish??

Hello guys,
I was wondering if anyone here knows how to sex goldfish? I have a comet and I wanted to know it's gender.

thank you, ~Saphira
Saphira101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 02:33 AM   #2 
Kithy

Sexing goldfish is the biggest pain in the butt >_<

It's best that they are at least two or three years old and a bit larger. I also have a comet and he was at least two when I got him. When I brought him inside I noticed he had little white things on his gill covers. These are apparently breeding stars and a sign of being male. Great, but my other two goldfish? No freaking idea >_<

http://www.aquahobby.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=10682

This might help a bit. Truthfully... I can not tell what my oranda and my fantail are. It's frustrating.
Kithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 03:29 AM   #3 
RoMay

To bad it wasn't as simple as having the fish raise it's scales and looking for a hole or two bumps. I read though that gold fish also have a thing near it's tail (don't know what it is called) that either hangs out or tucks in. If it hangs otu it's a girl or if you tucks in it's a girl. I tried to see what gender Decade is, personally I think you have to wait till fry appear and figure out who's the baby's dad is.
RoMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 04:35 AM   #4 
Kithy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoMay View Post
To bad it wasn't as simple as having the fish raise it's scales and looking for a hole or two bumps. I read though that gold fish also have a thing near it's tail (don't know what it is called) that either hangs out or tucks in. If it hangs otu it's a girl or if you tucks in it's a girl. I tried to see what gender Decade is, personally I think you have to wait till fry appear and figure out who's the baby's dad is.
Yup, they're vents. It's very very hard to sex goldfish and the only sure-fire way is to have fry. But since I don't want any fry I don't care what my goldfish are :p I just know the comet is male and the other two look female.
Old 12-22-2012, 04:51 AM   #5 
Shewbert

The difference between the sexes can only be seen once the fish are sexually mature. The female are usually rounder and plumper. She will also have a fuller body contour. Male is slightly slimmer and the spawning rash became visible - white spots on the gill cover and sometimes on the pectoral fins.

I've known people treating goldfish for mild white spot when they only have a spawning rash.
Fairly difficult fish to sex
Ray
Shewbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:38 PM   #6 
Ouch

Goldfish are simpler to sex than you think.

I recently bought another male fish. I already had a male and a female. But I wanted another male specifically.

Basically you have to look at the vent on the goldfish. Look at it carefully. If the vent is raised, sort of volcano like, then the fish is female. If the vent is flat it's male.

You should see the weird looks you get in the pet shop when you're standing there for ages looking at the fishes back sides lol.
Ouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:58 PM   #7 
Kithy

Mine have perpetual ADHD and I can never get them to sit still long enough to inspect them xD Although I don't really want eggs right now. I'm no where near experienced enough to want to deal with baby fish :3
Old 12-28-2012, 05:35 PM   #8 
Ouch

How old are they and what types do you have?

I have two Ryukins and a Pom Pom Oranda.

The best time to look is after feeding them. Scatter peas around the tank, when they are pecking around you have the perfect opportunity lol.
Ouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:52 PM   #9 
Kithy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouch View Post
How old are they and what types do you have?

I have two Ryukins and a Pom Pom Oranda.

The best time to look is after feeding them. Scatter peas around the tank, when they are pecking around you have the perfect opportunity lol.
The comet is at least three now and has had breeding stars on his gills so I'm pretty sure he is male. The oranda and the fantail are pretty young, I believe, so I'm thinking they might be too young to breed yet as the comet hasn't shown any interest in them as far as that goes.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:14 PM   #10 
Skyewillow

I remember with the horde that I used to have, definite sexing was really only possible once they hit 3", you could take a stabbing guess before then, but as soon as the males get those spots (also called tubercules), it's so much simpler! :)
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote