Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-22-2012, 08:39 PM   #11 
TheCheese909

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
Lebron that's not true at all. Pine coning is a fluid build up under the skin. Bettas can be very fat/round and even have HUGE stomachs and still not be pine coned.
I don't know if you read the whole post that Lebron wrote but if not let me clarify, it has happened to other users on this forum where a Betta's scales have become raised and it wasn't due to dropsy.

Yes sometimes a Betta can become quite large and round and not have raised scales but there are also times when the scales can slightly raise because of this bloat and they survived because it was not Dropsy it was simply something that had to pass.

That was quite rude.
TheCheese909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:43 PM   #12 
Tikibirds

I just tested the water. Nothing is off. Ammonia - 0, Nitrite -0, nitrate - 10

If it was a true NPT without a filter, then I think doing bigger water changes might cause an issue. Not really sure about that. I know 6 bettas wont have that bad of a high bioload but I do have several trapdoor snails, 2 rabbit snails, nerite and 2 plecos in there and they are all high poopers. I might actually do less then 25% a week. I use a 7 or so gallon bin and I fill it 1/2 way - and I usually make 2 trips - so about 6 gallons a week.

Quote:
Yes sometimes a Betta can become quite large and round and not have raised scales but there are also times when the scales can slightly raise because of this bloat and they survived because it was not Dropsy it was simply something that had to pass.
That's kind of what I am hoping for as she eats EVERYTHING. However, I am not really optimistic since I know pineconing is almost always because of dropsy.

She could be eggy but...I dont think that would be enough to cause pineconning.

Last edited by Tikibirds; 12-22-2012 at 08:49 PM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:52 PM   #13 
TheCheese909

Is it full body pineconing or just around the stomach area?
Old 12-22-2012, 08:56 PM   #14 
callistra

I read the whole post. I'm not trying to be rude, I just know the info to be incorrect. Raised scales is dropsy. There is such a thing as GI dropsy, where the pine coning is just around the abdomen and has to do with stomach issues and not kidney/organ failure like the full body pineconing is, but either way it's not something to just ignore and wait to pass, as it can still be lethal. It usually indicates and infection of the intestinal tract by way of parasite or bacteria. If it's slight enough I guess it could pass on its own along with constipation troubles, but that's rare. I've actually never seen it go away with no treatment (meaning at least epsom salts) but I could see if the infection was mild enough and the constipation that caused it cleared fast and completely enough recovery could come without treatment.

Last edited by callistra; 12-22-2012 at 08:59 PM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:02 PM   #15 
MSG

Anyone ever used this stuff to treat dropsy?

I've NEVER had any success after I notice symptoms.

I think I could get it for $4 or so.

It would treat up to 4,000 gallons of water, so pretty good deal.

If I manage to save 4 fish, it pays for itself.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:10 PM   #16 
Tikibirds

Just took the pics - looks like she has a sore? on her lip in one pic

A few months ago.
Old 12-22-2012, 09:13 PM   #17 
callistra

That's full body all the way down. Epsoms and Kanaplex is what I'd use.

Formalin is typically used to treat external parasite infections.. I've never seen it used for dropsy and I'm not sure how readily it is absorbed into the fish to be effective enough... I have never ever seen it advertised bacterial infections at all.. You see it alongside malachite green a lot to treat ich and velvet. As the bottle says, it's not an antibiotic. I guess they're banking on the dropsy you're treating being an internal parasite infection and again.. dunno how well it goes internal.. that would be a new claim to me as well.

Last edited by callistra; 12-22-2012 at 09:16 PM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:44 PM   #18 
LebronTheBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
Lebron that's not true at all. Pine coning is a fluid build up under the skin. Bettas can be very fat/round and even have HUGE stomachs and still not be pine coned.
Really? I am sure TTB had this problem, I'm going to ask her but she isn't active as usual since the personal event she faced.. Isn't pine coning the visual effect from the true cause, fluid build up? Sorry, I have this annoying problem of making sure everything is understood and meant correctly.. Good luck with your girls.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:48 PM   #19 
TheCheese909

Unfortunately that does indeed look more like Dropsy than other causes I have seen. I hope it's something she can pull through from, poor girl.
Old 12-22-2012, 09:56 PM   #20 
Tikibirds

Furan 2 treats gram negative bacterial infections, such as columnaris.
I'm not sure if it will do a thing for dropsy but I can't get Kanaplex without ordering online. The other anti bacterial I have is tetracycline but suposedly its not effective if the PH is over 7.2 or so and mine is 7.8 or higher.

Quote:
Furan 2
Active Ingredients: nitrofurazone, furazolidone, methylene blue trihydrate
Diseases: bacterial infections
Contraindications:
Furazolidone and nitrofurazone are carcinogenic agents.