Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-22-2012, 09:40 AM   #1 
jessp118

Weird film on the water?

I have a weird film on the top of the water. it looks kinda like an oil slick. For a while i thought that is was from my betta fish making so many bubble nests. he always seems to have one. Now I am thinking that it is the filter. Here is some info.

Size tank: 3G
Heated: yes and kept at 80*F
Filter: Tetra whisper 3i
Water changes: 70% once a week
Conditioner: Don't need it
Water stats from the tap:
PH: 7.53
Amonia: 0 mg/L
Nitrate: < 0.01 mg/L
Nitrite: < 0.004 mg/L
Sodium: 7.9 mg/L
Iron: < 0.01 mg/L
Manganese: < 0.008 mg/L
Potassium: 1.7 mg/L
Calcium: 10 mg/L
Magnesium: 2.2 mg/L
Hardness (CaCO3) : 34.0 mg/L
Alkalinity: 38.0 mg/L
Sulfate: 5.3 mg/L
Chloride: 6.6 mg/L
Free CO2: 15.1 mg/L

If its the filter, what should I get. I can't order online so it will have to be something i can get at petco.
jessp118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:22 AM   #2 
Neight

Well, believe it or not, you need water conditioner no matter what. It removes heavy metals from your water that while they won't hurt you, can overall be detrimental to your fish's health. Brands like API Stresscoat also coat the scales and help keep the fish, well, not stressed. But the film you're talking about is very common, from what I've heard. It's actually not going to hurt your fish. It's just fish oils from the foods that go uneaten, or the waste that float to the top. Having something to agitate the water, like a very gentle bubbler will help break it up, or you can skim it off with paper towel or a paper cup. It's not dangerous, just unsightly. I myself do a partial water change when it starts to get bad if it's between my water changes. I hope this helped a little!
Neight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:37 AM   #3 
Myates

Excess protein it sounds like.. unsightly, but not dangerous. Can use a paper towel to skim it off between changes. Some fish just cause it, some don't. It's not your equipment that creates it, but the fish themselves.

Also, I have to agree, water conditioner is something that is needed -
Tap water you absolutely need it.
Well water it is ideal to use conditioner because not every area is ideal and you don't know what exactly is in your well water.
You do not want to be using filtered water or spring water or any water that you purchase in a bottle or jug. It lacks the proper minerals (among other things) that your fish need in order to be healthy. You would also need to use conditioner with bottled water as well...
With live plants you want water conditioner..

All around, it is wise for the average owner to use water conditioner. I see no way that one can safely not use it outside of knowing the exact quality of your well water. Over time the exposure to the ammonia and metals that are building up in your tank is poisoning your fish...
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:41 AM   #4 
angelfish11788

yea protein. only one of my boys gets this, and YES prime or stresscoat. i use prime with all other tanks except my bettas, as said above contains the best slim coat enhancer out there
angelfish11788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:59 AM   #5 
jessp118

I've looked into prime. It lowers chlorine, chloramine, and ammonia. Those do not exist in my water. I have a deep well, and those results are for the 2012 testing of the well water. Our well water is tested yearly to make sure it stays safe. If i see quality issues or health problems, I will buy prime.
jessp118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 12:23 PM   #6 
callistra

Even if you have well water with no chlorine or chloramine it would still be a good idea to use conditioner for heavy metals or other things that are lurking. Prime is very cheap and easy to use and it makes a lot of sense to just use it instead of waiting for your bettas to potentially suffer into sickness.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 01:22 PM   #7 
Neight

Thanks for the correction of what exactly it is, guys! I always assumed it was fish oil from the uneaten food, but now I know!
Neight is offline   Reply With Quote