Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-27-2008, 12:12 AM   #1 
raysgirl

new betta plese help

ok so i just got a betta i am keeping him in a 1 gallon tank with a light and filter system (i got it from walmart) i put my betta who i called playboi in his new tank i bought him hbh betta bites to eat but he seems to only stay at the bottom of his tank not moving very much i worryed about him i know this is not good for him i have even tryed putting a mirror next to his tank to see if this would rouse him to move around a little bit more but he didn't pay it any attention if you can offer me any advice please do
raysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 12:52 AM   #2 
Dtld9

Sometimes you just have to give the fish time to adjust. Especialy when they are used to being cramped into tiny cups. Poor Betas :( .
Dtld9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 06:18 AM   #3 
Stillwater

Hello raysgirl, and welcome to the forum

As Dtld9 said, some times they just need time to adjust. And some times this behavior is caused by some thing else.

Did you condition the water in his tank before putting him in the tank?
A water conditioner will remove things from the tap water that are harmful or deadly to fish. Things like chlorine, chloramines and heavy metals are not safe for fish and must be neutralized with a water conditioner before the water is put into the tank.

What is the temperature of the water in your bettas tank?
You did not mention a heater for his tank. He will need a heater unless the room where he is kept stays at a constant temp. of 78degrees F or higher.
You will also need a thermometer for the tank so you can monitor the temperature, and for water changes.

Bettas that are in water that is to cold will not be very active.
Tank water temperatures that fluctuate to much or to often, will weaken your betta.

Tank temperatures below 78F can also weaken your betta.

A light should not be relied upon as a permanent source of heat.

Also a larger tank would be much better for your betta.

I hope some of this helps, if not, the people here on this forum will continue to help you works this out.
Stillwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 12:31 PM   #4 
Blaxicanlatino

he could be sick from the Pet store.

When I bought mine, he had tail rot
Blaxicanlatino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 03:25 PM   #5 
raysgirl

this is my first betta so i ask lots of questions the guy at the pet store said that since i didn't have a heater that a goldfish or betta so i got a betta he didn't say anything about him needing a heater and water conditioner

i dodn't have any water conditioner in the water
i don't have a heater or a thermomenter for him
as for the tank size i don't have room in my room to keep a larger tank i am moving in a couple of months when i do he will have a 10 gallon tank with tank mates till then i have to work with what i have or what will fit in my tank
do i need to get these things for him? if so what types would you suggest?
Old 02-27-2008, 04:49 PM   #6 
Flashygrrl

I've been using API water conditioner and it seem to do the job just fine, as for a heater if it's going in a 1 gallon I would go with one of the mini-ones http://www.petsolutions.com/Marinela...049+C1021.aspx
This is just an example of one, I think Hydor makes one too but it might be too big for a 1 gallon. I would stay away from anything Top Fin or the generic Wal-Mart of Meijer brands. They tend to malfunction, from what I hear.
Flashygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 06:49 PM   #7 
raysgirl

ok thank you i will deinatley try that ok i think there is something wrong with him he went from hangen out at the bottem o the tank to hangen out at the top he still don't move he just kinda flots there he is still alive he wiggles every now and again but not much
Old 02-27-2008, 07:25 PM   #8 
Flashygrrl

Tank might be cycling, if it is the ammonia is probably bothering him. Do a small water change every day and get a liquid testing kit (you'll need/want it eventually anyways, those test strips aren't as accurate.). Don't take too much water out as it can slow down the cycle but enough to give him some fresh.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:41 PM   #9 
drazen

hey whats up: the most important stuff first. Water cond. get that clorine out of the water. Tank size is not that important, he will do just fine in a one gallon, if you ever get the chance to put him in a ten, then you can use some deviders, proper filter proper heater and always keep the ph neutral and the temp past the mid 70's. Very important , if youre going to get a heater for the one gallon, then get youre self a good thermomiter because the one gallon will heat up fast and you dont want to go over high 70's, so you might halfto on plug it then turn it back on , unless you spend some money and get a good heater with a temp setting by the numbers, so you can actually set it on 77-78 . If you need me, dont hez to look me up and ask
what ever. dont wory bettas are hardy just get the clor out of the water and if you keep the room warm he will be alright in till you can do something for him with the heat. And if his name is playboy then you better get him a hottie> Many blessings to you from {DRAZEN DRAGON RYDER}
drazen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 07:46 PM   #10 
Flashygrrl

The heaters I mentioned are only 7-10w and are preset. Thermometer might have to be optional given the lack of room in a 1 gallon. And work on getting him a 5 gallon. That's where he will start to thrive (and of course we all want that, don't we?)