Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-27-2008, 08:55 PM   #11 
Oldman47

If your LFS is like mine, they always have good deals on a 10 gallon and its likely to be cheaper up front than a 5. I have been surprised by this almost every time I looked for a small tank. On rare ocassion, the 5 is slightly cheaper but not often. The 10 would be easier to care for and would let you actually get 3 or 4 other small fish to keep him company.
Oldman47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 08:59 PM   #12 
drazen

most important cond the water and make sure the temp is at least in the mid 70s, even better if you have a heater
drazen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 09:42 PM   #13 
miagrrl

i agree - you need a larger tank, 3-5 is the bare minimum (10 is better). also a heater - but before you do anything else- condition the water! the tank can't even begin to cycle until the chlorine is out of the water! if you go with a smaller thank, the heater is not needed, just keep him in a warmer spot in the house that maintains a consistent tempreature. also make sure you change his water regularly if he is in a small tank (for 3-5 gallon tanks, change 50% every 3-4 days). waste accumulates quickly - also don't overfeed- he will only need to eat a few little pellets or flakes per day. in a small tank, overfeeding will increase the waste, which will make him not feel well.
good luck!
miagrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 06:54 PM   #14 
fish_4_all

7.5 watt heaters have not only become reliable but have become a staple. Small tanks, vivariums, paludariums and many other aquatic setups use them for many reasons.

As for tank size, I have never seen anything that says a 10 gallon is the standard recognized tank size for a betta not to mention the minimum. I have kept bettas in a 2.5 gallon hex tank alive and extremely healthy for 2+ years every time. A small under gravel filter, a small heater, and yes I have used 7.5 watt heaters with great success and reliability. The only time I ever had problems keeping a betta alive is when I moved them to a community 10 gallon tank.

While I will agree that a 1 gallon is too small, I believe that it is worse to put a male betta in a community tank where he is always stressed out because of the other fish than to keep them in a small tank that is kept properly. The only bettas I have ever had that did not live 2+ years were ones kept in 10 gallon community tanks.

There is no reason that a male betta can not be kept healthy, happy and live a long life in a properly maintained tank under 10 gallons. 2.5 gallons is enough where 5 gallons is ideal for a solitary betta. Anything larger is a waste, especially with the new and improved heaters and filters that are specifically designed for them.
fish_4_all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 07:06 PM   #15 
herefishy
Banned

Now that everyone has had their input, let's dissect it. There was alot of good information and some not so good.

1.) Temperature should be 78-82 degrees F.

2.) The new smaller (7w-15w) heaters are new and really a blessing to those keeping smaller tanks. Whoever said that they were not recognized in the hobby or by the hobbiest is grossly misinformed. The manufacturers have listened to the voice of the hobbiest and filled a need. As always, when using a heater, a good thermometer is a safe practice.

3.) Bettas can be kept in tanks as small as one gallon. Larger tanks, 2 1/2g-5g are prefferrable. Too large a tank can be as bad as one that is too small. They are more costly to keep. Everything must be larger, heaters, lights, air pumps, filters...... I keep the majority of my Betta splendens in 2 1/2g tanks. My larger, more rare species are kept in 5g, 10g and 15g tanks. I currently have over 40 bettas of different varieties,colors, and species breeding. I have been to many fishrooms of some notable betta breeders and have modelled my setup to those I have seen.

If you are using a 10g, you may also use a tank divider to seperate two males.

4.) Furnish a floating plant, such as elodea, to add a bit of security to the male betta. The plant will also calm the water surface and provide an anchor to for the bubble nest.

5.) For filtration, I use billi- type foam filters. They are efficient, economical and easy to clean.

6.) Change water regularly. Water changes, depending upon tank size, should be done weekly, more often on smaller tanks.

7.) Feed a diverse diet. Be careful to include vegetable matter in the diet. Feeding exclusively animal protein can result in constipation. Thawed frozen peas is a favorite of many betta breeders. Live foods can be frozen, freeze dried, or live. A good quality flake is also recommended. Bettas can be finicky eaters, so you may have to experiment a tad.

8.) Keep you tank covered, bettas are very agile jumpers.

9.) Most municipal water supplies no longer use chlorine, but chloromine or some other means to purify water, including UV. Contact your local municipality to confirm the methods they use. Letting water stand for 24 hours will allow all chlorine to dissipate from the water.

I hope this clears up all misconception and misinformation.
herefishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 07:06 PM   #16 
raysgirl

ok i under stand he needs a bigger tank but i don't have room for one right now i live in a 3 bedroom house and there are 8 ppl in the house together i share a bedroom with my husband and our two kids and we are expecting another the owner of the house does not like pets in her house at all like i said i have a 10 gallon tank in storage one day after i move i would like to get some separators for it so that i can havve severale bettas or put him in a comunity tank but be for i will do that or befor i can i have to move and read up on bettas and decide which would be better for me so i just have to make improvements on the tank that i have him in or now i hope this explained why i can't put him in a bigger tank right now
raysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 08:02 PM   #17 
King of Candlesticks

I would listen to everything Herefishy said. It was all great advice and since he's a moderator I thik you can trust his expertise.
King of Candlesticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 08:38 PM   #18 
Flashygrrl

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysgirl
ok i under stand he needs a bigger tank but i don't have room for one right now i live in a 3 bedroom house and there are 8 ppl in the house together i share a bedroom with my husband and our two kids and we are expecting another the owner of the house does not like pets in her house at all like i said i have a 10 gallon tank in storage one day after i move i would like to get some separators for it so that i can havve severale bettas or put him in a comunity tank but be for i will do that or befor i can i have to move and read up on bettas and decide which would be better for me so i just have to make improvements on the tank that i have him in or now i hope this explained why i can't put him in a bigger tank right now
Sorry if it feels like in some way we might be hounding you about this, it's just that we always like to state the ideal situation and it sounds like for now you're doing what you're able to do. As long as you always strive to at least aim for ideal (even if you don't always succeed) then that's acceptable.
Just remember that with whatever fish or aquarium you decide to get next (because there is NO such thing as just having one tank no matter how hard you try), do your research and come ask us before buying, ignore the LFS guy unless he shows signs of actually having a brain, and it will overall make it an easier and pleasant experience for you and your future fish :)
Flashygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 09:19 PM   #19 
fish_4_all

You are doing just fine. We are just trying to make sure you have the correct information. Change the water, 50% twice a week and keep the temp steady. Feed him well and you may actually have a healthy happy betta even though he is just in a 1 gallon. It is all a matter of maintaning things. When you can, I still recommend only getting up to a 5 gallon for him. Nothing bigger is needed unless you want to have other fish.

It can be overwhelming but the fact you are here means you want to know and we will help whenever we can. If we get a little overzealous then just set us all straight.

One thing though, I may be speaking for myself here but being a mod doesn't mean that our advice is any better than anyone elses. Herefishy is knowledged in a lot of things and what he knows he knows well. I hope my experiences are the same but weigh the advice you get from anyone, even a mod, the same as anyone else that you feel can help you do it right.
fish_4_all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 10:34 PM   #20 
raysgirl

well right now i appreciate all of the advice that im getting i don't use anyones advice over the other im taking it and combining it all with each other so that i take the most given advice and im using it all
raysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote