Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-22-2012, 11:31 AM   #1 
whiskandbowl

How Can I Encourage Better Fin Growth

Okay, so I have a few rescue bettas.....
Stumpy is a male who had his fins bitten off by a female and some guppies. (Veiltail)
His fins have grown back to a point, but his tail is still pretty sad looking.
This is him 2 weeks ago

Howie is a delta male who had really bad fin rot (pieces of his tail were floating in the cup)
His fins started growing back, but still look tattered.

Then I have Mama, a female veil tail with severe fin rot. She couldn't swim at all (too weak) but can now swim to top for food. She mostly lies on the bottom though. Her fins are slowly improving.

It seems like all my rescue fish get to a point, then stop improving. I've had Stumpy for 3.5-3 months, and am not seeing much new growth anymore. Water is changed at least once weekly (he's in a 5 gallon, used to be in 2.5 gal with 3x weekly changes) Howie is in a 2.5g, water changed every other, to every 2 days. Mama is floating in Howies tank in a cup, she's not strong enough to reach the top of the 2.5. Her water changed every day/every other day. I only have silk plants.

Everything is heated- 2.5g is at 76*, Stumpy's 5g is at 80*. Treated with Prime. Everyone had a preliminary treatment with Aq salt for 10 days, stopped after that. Now just going the clean water route, but getting discouraged.
I feed Omega One and Aqueon pellets, 3-4 pellets twice a day. Bloodworms once a week

What can I do to promote better/faster growth? IAL? Medication, antibiotics?
whiskandbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:39 AM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

IAL helps fins.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 12:09 PM   #3 
whiskandbowl

Thanks Chocolate, I'm thinking about getting some after Christmas (most places aren't shipping now) Can you recommend a good place to get some?
Old 12-22-2012, 12:14 PM   #4 
callistra

Salt and Stress coat at 1 ml per 1 gallon. IAL is also good, as previously pointed out.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 12:24 PM   #5 
whiskandbowl

The thing is, I've already done salt treatment. From what I've read here, it shouldn't be used for more than 10-14 days.
I do have stress coat, and add that to the water occasionally (when I remember, I tend to forget)
Old 12-22-2012, 12:54 PM   #6 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Bobs Tropical Plants. C+ grade.
Old 12-22-2012, 01:07 PM   #7 
shellieca

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskandbowl View Post
The thing is, I've already done salt treatment. From what I've read here, it shouldn't be used for more than 10-14 days.
I do have stress coat, and add that to the water occasionally (when I remember, I tend to forget)
If I'm not mistaken you can do Aq salt after a break, not sure how long of a break though. I know you have mama in the cup because she's not strong enough but I would put her into something bigger so she can build up strength. Maybe only fill the 2.5 a 1/4 way, making sure she has something she rest on close the surface but the more space will allow her to swim more which will help her get stronger & as she gets stronger you fill it up more. As for the fin re growth on everyone, it can take quite bit of time since they were so bad. Personally I wouldn't worry too much so long as they aren't getting worse & you've seen improvement.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 01:10 PM   #8 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

They mean they put the fish in a salt treatment for the maximum and it needs time to recover. IAL is known even among Betta fighters for how well it works.
Old 12-22-2012, 01:11 PM   #9 
shellieca

Yes Choc I understood that's why I said "after a break".
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 01:15 PM   #10 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Oh okay. The only Downside I kmow of IAL is it can increase Aggression.