Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-21-2012, 07:06 PM   #1 
carbonxxkidd

Quarantining female bettas

So I brought home 4 females for my sorority today. However, my tank isn't fully set up yet, and I have nowhere to put the females! You might wonder why I even bought them - I had returned a defective heater to Petco which I had a Petco dollars coupon for $10 off. They said I had to buy something else in order to use that free $10, otherwise it would be lost, so I figured I'd buy 4 of the females for the sorority, since I didn't need anything else.

I know it's a good idea to have them in quarantine and fatten them up before adding them to the tank anyway, but my question is this: would it be better for me to keep them in their tiny cups and float them in another heated tank OR put them in unheated mason jars that are a bit larger? My house temp is around 70, so a bit low, but they would only be like this for a couple weeks at max. Obviously I will be doing pretty much daily 100% water changes.

Suggestions would be appreciated.
carbonxxkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:56 PM   #2 
DragonFish

Hmm....for a couple of days I'd say the mason jars, but for a couple of weeks I'd say go ahead and just float them in their cups in a heated tank. If you can, add a bit of some hardy live plants(a small Java fern or a bit of Java moss) to help with ammonia and give them a little bit of cover. Other then that, just preform daily 100% water changes until you get things all setup and you should be fine.
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:02 PM   #3 
carbonxxkidd

Thanks!

They are currently floating in the tank. I just put a heater in the tank, so they are going to be slowly warmed up to about 80F (they are at about 76F now) I did a 100% water change on all 4 right when I got home, and gave them all some live daphnia (which they devoured). I had one showing pretty obvious stress stripes, and those are gone already - yay! I am hoping to get all my plants in the mail tomorrow - I will try to add a little bit of something to their cups. I don't think I would have thought of that, lol, so thanks again!
Old 12-21-2012, 09:05 PM   #4 
carbonxxkidd

Here are photos of them - I also posted them in a different thread about setting up my 29g, but I thought they belong here too. :)

This is the one ^ who had the stress stripes. She is a nice black/blue color now - no stripes!

These are cell phone pics, not the best but you get the idea :)
Old 12-21-2012, 09:08 PM   #5 
DragonFish

You're welcome! :)

Awww, they're adorable!!
Old 12-21-2012, 09:41 PM   #6 
carbonxxkidd

Can you confirm if these are all VT? That's what their cups said, but it's kind of hard to tell. I want to get a couple CT too, but all the ones at Petco today looked pretty bad. :/
Old 12-21-2012, 09:59 PM   #7 
LebronTheBetta

These all seem to be VT. Might be SDeT or DeT, but I don't really know how to differentiate between the 3. My VT came as a PK after the time, she has a rounded anal fin. Yours seem to have the sharp point at the end, mine don't. I have 2 VTs as well for my sorority.
I hate to say, I only QTd my girls for 2 days at least. xD No sickness, though. Apparently I have no patience whatsoever. lol And yeah, I agree with the cups.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:04 PM   #8 
carbonxxkidd

Honestly, if I would have gotten the girls when I could actually put them right in the tank, I bet I would have done the same thing, lol, I'm impatient like that too. It is pretty easy to tell if they're healthy or not by their appearance and behavior (hence why I picked these 4!). I guess internal parasites aren't able to be seen, but I guess these girls will be properly quarantined after all.

The only reasons they aren't allowed in the tank is 1) not cycled and 2) I want to add all their tank-mates and get the plants established before I let them have free reign - I have heard horror stories about them attacking cories and stuff if they are the first ones in the tank and just don't want to go there. Girls go in last, unfortunately that means QT and floating for a couple weeks. :/
Old 12-21-2012, 10:09 PM   #9 
LebronTheBetta

I have cories with my girls and I got them 1st, too. They don't seem to mind them, as the girls are top and mid dwellers. I like your last female btw, her red color is so intense like. lol
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:25 PM   #10 
DragonFish

They're all very adorable little VTs. :)
Girls can indeed be really difficult to tell with tail types unless you're familiar with how the different ones look. I just look at too many pictures. xD

Good luck! I'm really hoping that I can talk my dad into letting me set up our 46 bow again for a large sorority. I'll probably end up with some corys myself, love those little guys. xD