Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-26-2012, 01:56 PM   #21 
PaulO

Really? Do you constantly stir your sand or do you have snails/fish that do it naturally?
PaulO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 01:59 PM   #22 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Assassin snails, Cories, and plants.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 01:21 PM   #23 
PaulO

So yesterday I went out and got my first stock that would be put in the tank... neon tetras. I have six of them in a 2.5 tank to be quarantined just for 2 weeks. I would have liked to go 5.5 gallons but I just didn't have the room so I had to do the 2.5... anyway I will try to get some pictures of the tank (with it's tannin stained waters) and the little school of fish in quarantine ( who were pale with fright when I last saw them). Quick question I read about neon's having this disease "Neon Tetra Disease" does anyone know how long it would take for this to manifest itself? Would 2 weeks be long enough to be completely safe? and what are the water changes I am looking at? Thank you for all the help guys (and girls)
-Paul

P.S. Also how much wattage would I need for a 29 gallon I want to keep it slightly under tropical at 75-76...I currently have a 50 watt heater and was wondering should I get another 50 or go with a 100 watts, Thanks sorry about the delayed question it just "popped" into my head.

Last edited by PaulO; 12-27-2012 at 01:25 PM. Reason: Add On
Old 12-27-2012, 01:31 PM   #24 
PaulO

Also a funny story I have while we were at the lfs yesterday for the neon's I started to "peruse" the Corydoras they had as I often do ... I saw something that made me laugh, I was looking at this little Cory and he starts looking at me... then at his surroundings...then he ROLLS his eyes...both of them. I don't know why but it was the funniest and most adorable thing I have seen them do.
Old 12-27-2012, 04:13 PM   #25 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I am pretty sure like 10 watts or 5 per gallon.
Old 12-27-2012, 04:17 PM   #26 
aemaki09

I don't know anything about "tetra disease" but I know that the recommended time to QT anything is 4 weeks, and by then just about everythig they might have will show up. But most people do 2 weeks just because they can't wait that long. If you can I'd try 4. But 4 weeks with 6 fish in a 2.5 is a lot of water changes.

For the heating, I use a 100w in my 26 and it works great, so I'd suggest 100-150.

Cory's are cute aren't they? :)
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:18 PM   #27 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Tetra Disease can hit Danios too.
Old 12-28-2012, 03:15 PM   #28 
Viva

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulO View Post
I saw something that made me laugh, I was looking at this little Cory and he starts looking at me... then at his surroundings...then he ROLLS his eyes...both of them. I don't know why but it was the funniest and most adorable thing I have seen them do.
Hahaha, my Cory's move their eyes all the time, its really freaky but cool! I have never heard of a fish that could blink like a Cory's can, its quite unique and cute.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:18 PM   #29 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Cories move there eyes to help food searching.
Old 12-28-2012, 04:05 PM   #30 
PaulO

Yeah cory's are really unique, it's one on the reasons why they are probably my favorite fish oh and also videos like this fuel my addiction http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWIVCdLOImw. Also an update I got a fluorescent fixture which can hold two bulbs, there is so little room on my tank that the only led's I can possibly put on will probably be the Current USA pros or some other ultra thin led's. If anyone can help me out I was wondering how many water changes should I be doing for the neons in quarantine? There's six of them in a 2.5 gallon luckily it should only be for 2-3 weeks.