Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-01-2013, 02:09 PM   #41 
PaulO

I got the wood from a local fish store, there are three in my general area and of those only one had pieces that were big enough to meet my standards. Usually if you want driftwood you can order online (which I don't particularly enjoy because you can't get a real life representation of what the piece will look like) also if you have multiple pieces it helps to be able to play with the combinations if possible. I originally had a design set up with the wood from 2 weeks in advance. As I was putting the wood in the tank I saw it wouldn't work and after 10 minutes of fiddling with it I came up with this, it was really just luck that it managed to look this way. But like I said you usually will only get genuine wood from local fish stores (not chains) just Google fish stores and ignore any result that is a restaurant or a chain. I always tell my mom about the gorgeous coral reefs they have to convince her to go, and then I usually end up dragging her out the store lol. But it really is an amazing experience to go to these stores who have fish as a hobby and passion and not JUST as a mean of income. Anyway I could go on and on about how it is now my hobby just to track down these stores but I do have one question. If anyone knows would it be okay to post pictures of stores I am visiting or would this be against forum rules. I think we should all try to raise awareness of these local stores and help them out because they really are more deserving of our business than my local Petsmart with it's ich infested tanks.
Sorry about the rant so in summary:
1. Wood can be attained by either the internet or local hobby fish stores
2. Better to buy in real life so you can plan your hard scape at the store (don't worry it is normal to be looked at like you are crazy to play with wood during this process)
3.The promise of coral reefs is a powerful tool in negotiations if you need a ride.
4. Would it be okay to start posting pictures or start a new thread dedicated for local fish stores to help raise awareness or would this be against forum policy?(mods please answer)
-Thanks
Paul O

Last edited by PaulO; 01-01-2013 at 02:13 PM.
PaulO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:37 PM   #42 
Hopelessaddict101

Thank you =]
Hopelessaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:48 AM   #43 
Oldfishlady

I don't see why you can't post pic and more info on a local pet shop you frequent...especially since it will be positive reviews.....I would start a new thread on it.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:32 AM   #44 
PaulO

I have a question about plants, I was wondering how can you prevent plants from bringing in hitchhikers or any other diseases/unwanted things. Do you cross your fingers and hope for the best or do you also have to acclimate plants and quarantine? I am at a loss about what to do, I will probably go and get some plants this week just need to put a shopping list together but still unsure how to safely introduce plants into the aquarium. Thank you for the help
-Paul O
Old 01-03-2013, 02:44 PM   #45 
Hopelessaddict101

i'm pretty sure some people put them into a QT tank for a week or so =]
Hopelessaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:12 AM   #46 
PaulO

so....I figured it was time to update, so here we go!
#1: went and released neon tetras into the tank from quarantine, all six are alive will add 3-4 more to allow comfortably sized school.
#2: went and bought some anacharis, java moss, and duckweed and proceeded to plant tank.
#3 going to buy my algae control crew= 3-4 oto-cat's and hopefully some mts
#4 will post some pics

Anyway before I post pics I would appreciate any good low light and low maintenance plants. And as always thanks for reading and contributing

-Paul O
Old 01-10-2013, 03:21 AM   #47 
PaulO

Pics...

Old 01-11-2013, 03:46 PM   #48 
LADY K

your tank is awesome can't wait to see more
LADY K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:04 PM   #49 
PaulO

Alrighty update time:)

-Yesterday I went ahead and introduced my cleaning crew (I know short quarantine but I needed some algae management stat, and I trust this store they have immaculate tanks.)

-Went and visited new store: Octopuss Gardens!!!
Tanks were a little algae infested but their prices can't be beat.(java fern for 2.99, twisted vals for 1 dollar each Plus buy 5 get one free!!!) Needless to say I left the store spending total of 60 bucks.($35 plants, $15 fish, $20 lights) Sadly the owner is closing shop in March :'(. They are located in kearney mesa if anyone is interested. (They have fair prices)

-Got corydoras!!!! (Eeeeee, *slaps himself*)

-Plants & Supplies list: 6 spiral vals, 3 java fern, duckweed, banana plant, and root tabs. (1 free assassin snail )

Anyway that's it for now, I'll post pics when planted and stocked. Also if anyone near the vista,Ca area has any extra malaysian trumpet snails I would appreciate a pm as I am currently in the market for a good bunch (10-20) and I will post eventually in the classified section as well.

Sorry for the spelling *tiny phone keyboards* thanks for checking in!!

-Paul O
Old 01-14-2013, 01:22 PM   #50 
PaulO

Update & Pics 1-14-2013

-Put Corydoras and Plants in tank.
-Planning to purchase more plants.
-Added one more fixture so I now have an additional 17 watt 6700K day bulb.
Pics:
Tank with Plants

One of the three amanos hanging out under the java fern.

The Lazy otocinclus...he enjoys planking duh duh tsss.

*sorry for the TV reflecting off the tank*

Corydoras of course...

The poor corys do have some ruffled fins from 4 hours in a store bag, but I added some stress-coat and with some peace, quiet, and time I am sure they'll be as good as new. More pics and plants coming soon!

-Paul O

Last edited by PaulO; 01-14-2013 at 01:40 PM.