Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-22-2012, 02:59 PM   #1 
MonteCarlo

Bettas CAN NOT be housed with Mystery Snails

I apologize for sounding upset, but I am, and i hope you understand why. In my 10gal heavily planted tank, I originally bought 4 mystery snails, all decent sized. After reading on these forums that they're okay to be housed with bettas (and seeing tanks with both in there) I thought itd be okay too. Well the first betta I got completely tormented them, and nipped off half of their tentacles before I could remove him from the tank. He would literally hover above them and nip and them despite me tapping on the tank to shoo him away. I returned him to try a different betta, maybe I just got an aggressive one. I got a smaller betta too, as the first one was pretty big. Same thing happened, once the new one got warmed up. He was okay in beginning after I fed him, but in a little time he started attacking them too. My poor snails barely have any feelers left besides one of them.

On top of all that, I look like a fool in front of the Petco people (lol) since they even warned me it probably wouldn't work after I returned the first one. I said no its okay I see other people who have them! Well now I'm going to have to go back with this one, can't wait for that. I guess I'll just get some cory catfish and not get any betta, the reason I spent time on this NPT in the first place.

Unless your temperature is low and which will make your betta not that active, or hes being overfed like a pig, I can't imagine bettas getting along with mystery snails.
MonteCarlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 03:22 PM   #2 
Xaltd1

Interesting! I have 2 Betta tanks (1 solo mail, 2 females) each with their own mystery snail. Initially, the fish did harass the snail; but it both cases, the snail pulled in and played dead until the fish got bored (about 2 seconds). Then each snail sped (as fast as snails can go) into the decor and started being a snail. No problem ever again. The only thing I saw happen is my male knocking his snail off the front center of his tank, as if to say "EXCUSE ME- blocking my view!") These are young snails; maybe they were raised with nippy fish and knows how to react. The only thing I can think of is that, in both tanks, I have those glass aggregates as accents- maybe the fish confuse them?
The only other Snail Incident I had w/ the Bettas is that, before getting the Mystery snails, I asked the LFS for some of the free baby snails that come on the plants. They gave me 6. The tank is lit well, the snails were small but visible, but after about 2 days I never saw a single one again. I tried questioning the girls (whose tank they were in) but all I got were innocent looks. Hhmm.
Xaltd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 03:23 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

Thats too bad.....I have never had any problems keeping Betta and snails together...Just shows us that every Betta can be different in their tolerance of other livestock and if your Betta won't tolerate snails-they may not tolerate corydoras either-but at least they can swim away and hide a bit faster than the snails...Good luck with your corydoras....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 12:04 AM   #4 
colorxmexravyne

Initially, my betta didn't really like my mystery snail either. In fact, it took about two and a half weeks for Bandit to leave the snail alone, and even then he would pick on her every so often. The two of them have been living peacefully since about the end of September now. I got the snail in July. It's taken some time, but they don't mind each other anymore. The snail rarely hides from Bandit these days and it's not uncommon for me to see them literally right next to each other in the same corner of the aquarium, either. But I guess it's just like OFL said - every betta is different.
colorxmexravyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 12:24 AM   #5 
LebronTheBetta

Your Bettas must be quite aggressive. I have 2 mysteries with a sorority of 6 girls, they hardly bother them. They get plenty of food, and the temperature is a warm 76F and stable. (76 due to Cory)
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 01:39 AM   #6 
aemaki09

Wow! Interesting!
I have atleast one ramshorn snail in every one of my tanks and never had much of a problem.
It always took a few days to a week for the betta's to get used to them and till they got used to them they'd nip them and push them off walls, but afterwards payed no mind.
How long did you let the fish get used to the snails before returning them?
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 02:22 AM   #7 
xjenuhfur

I have a barebottom temp tank set up while I'm home, and I have 2 rabbit snails in with Goblin. He tormented them for a few days, but I floated him in his cup and made sure he could see them. I'm not sure if he enjoys their company, but he tolerates them.
xjenuhfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:43 AM   #8 
Silverfang

I'd have to say it depends on the fish. I've had apples in my sorority. And they were quite fine. Granted they learned to shrink up when one would bump their shell. It would get quite funny when they were sitting at the feeding spot at lunch time.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:34 AM   #9 
Tikibirds

*shrugs* I have all sorts of snail species with my females an NEVER had an issue.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 01:25 PM   #10 
Xaltd1

LOL- As I type, my male EE is pestering his snail. It only bothers him when Mr. Snail decides to crawl directly in his view of me! He just nudges it once or twice- the 1st time he did this, he knocked the snail off the glass. Now he just poked it once to express his dislike of the snail's position. He is exhibiting territoriality- snail in the plants; fine- snails in his way, not so much. He didn't harm the snail. The girls don't even notice their snail. All my fish are very chill.
Xaltd1 is offline   Reply With Quote