betta fish

Old 12-24-2012, 12:52 PM   #11 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Try Pygmy Cories. If you want Cories.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:53 PM   #12 
MonteCarlo

I envy those who have no issues, but for those that say the betta only tormented for "a little while" or only if the snails are in sight, I guess i simply don't have the backbone to let that happen. I think mystery snails are just as cool/adventurous as fish, and I don't think I could have sat there and watched the betta continuously pick off their antennas until he got "used" to them. What if that never even happened? And what if even if the betta DID settle down, the snail would still live more stressed than he would normally be, always having to hide when the fish came around (what mine were learning to do). Guess I just couldn't let that happen

edit: and yeah I'm guilty of only giving both the betta about 2-3 days, but the snails didn't even have enough antennas left to bite off, I was scared he might start attacking eyes n stuff.

Last edited by MonteCarlo; 12-24-2012 at 08:55 PM.
MonteCarlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:06 PM   #13 
Xaltd1

But, can you imagine what a snail goes through in the wild? They can grow back eyes & antennae. I think the're cool, too. My females totally ignore their snail. The male is a little more bored than they are, so hence the nip and bump. There are good buys on nano tanks this time of year; mabe have a snail-only tank? I treat snails as my fishs' pets, but maybe they deserve their own habitat.
Xaltd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 05:29 PM   #14 
Friendlyfishies

Moonie picked off my nerites eye/antenna thingies while Miyagi is very sweet to his snail...just depends...poor things.
Friendlyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:08 PM   #15 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

[quote=Xaltd1;1361300]But, can you imagine what a snail goes through in the wild? They can grow back eyes & antennae. I think the're cool, too. My females totally ignore their snail. The male is a little more bored than they are, so hence the nip and bump. There are good buys on nano tanks this time of year; mabe have a snail-only tank? I treat snails as my fishs' pets, but maybe they deserve their own habitat.[/quote/]
We should never compare what they go through in the wild too aquariums.
Old 12-27-2012, 06:49 PM   #16 
Xaltd1

Funny, someone posted that they have an algae problem but doesn't want snails b/c the don't like them! Aw!
I'm feeling terrible b/c my girls ate the baby snails I got for them. I guess it's better than a slow death in a dirty tank, but now I know: if I want (free) pond snails, I have to put them in a different tank and let them grow up. I happen to like pond snails b/c they're relatively small, so there's less of a bioload concern, and their egg clutches can make good fish food if you don't need 100 baby snails...
I used to pull mature pond snails from our fish pond. They don't have the long, yummy anntenae for munching.

Last edited by Xaltd1; 12-27-2012 at 06:53 PM.
Old 12-27-2012, 06:50 PM   #17 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Some people find snails creepy. Me I love assassin snails.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:38 PM   #18 
Xaltd1

I love all snails!!!
Old 12-27-2012, 08:05 PM   #19 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I am okay with most other snails.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:25 PM   #20 
fishy314

Location: I wonder how long and boring this location can be before bettafish.com makes me stop typing this sen
it depends on the betta.
fishy314 is offline   Reply With Quote