Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-28-2012, 09:31 PM   #31 
Skyewillow

I wouldn't return either one. I would just work out accommodations for both. A snail isn't any less valuable to me than a betta, nor are my bettas any less important than my rabbits, frogs, or cats. Even with them, it's hit or miss whether or not they'll get along. I have an 8lb English Lop rabbit who would constantly try to attack my 1lb Lionhead Kit whenever she was out of her cage. (of course, the 1 lb lionhead won, because he's a jerk, but regardless) Everyone was housed separately if they couldn't manage to get along.

But yes, our pets are still going to rely on instinct despite the habitats we build for them. Bettas are a lot newer to domestication than dogs, snails are probably still newer than that, and it's taken thousands of years for us to get dogs to where they are. A little understanding goes a long way. And I'm glad the OP did express concern for the safety of their snails too. A life is a life, no matter how "insignificant" it may seem :)
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:32 PM   #32 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

If you decide to setup a new apple tank try 5 gallons.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:41 PM   #33 
Xaltd1

I'm simply saying that the quickest solution to the nipped snail problem is to return it to a snail tank at the LFS. It costs $ and space for a snail-friendly tank. Not everyone can start a new tank, says this poster w/ 4 tanks!
Xaltd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:42 PM   #34 
Skyewillow

From what I'm gathering, the snail was there first. lol
Old 12-28-2012, 10:11 PM   #35 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

The Betta might have been establishing its territory then.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:48 PM   #36 
MonteCarlo

Skyewillow, that was a great post, but also highlights some of my problems/guilt. Yes, I consider the snails as important as a betta, and they WERE there first, but I also know the betta deserves a good home. I already returned them as I mentioned, so the guilty part of me hurts when I know that they were just acting according to nature when they bit my snails. I wish I didn't introduce them to a home and go back on it, but I honestly would never have tried the "experiment" if I had known there was a pretty big risk. I read multiple posts here, and they all warned of a risk of bettas eating shrimp, but I had never read any negative feedback about apple snails until this thread. Ive seen pictures of snails + betta multiple times, and many threads talking about the benefits of snail+betta. Thankfully some of you agree that they sometimes don't get along, otherwise I'd think its only me and im crazy, haha.

So I apologize for not keeping the betta and switching (eventually) to a more snail-friendly fish, but let this thread serve as a sign that snails (even apple snails) have a risk of being attacked by bettas, not only just shrimp.
MonteCarlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:06 AM   #37 
babystarz

My bettas will attack mystery snails on sight. They leave all other snails alone. Weird right?
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:15 AM   #38 
Skyewillow

MonteCarlo, I would honestly chalk it up to a learning experience. I know you feel guilty, but I can understand that you'd rather have living snails than try waiting it out at the risk to the snail's life.
My fiance's female (Jade) is a notorious snail eater. She'll pick apart almost anything that hits her water. She's made friends with a guppy that my fiance tried to feed her, but she has killed a Green Cory before, and a few other guppies. Even my babies ate some baby snails we dropped in with them, but they were part of our "food colony" of snails. My Assassin has to eat, and so do our fish.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:16 AM   #39 
Skyewillow

And every time you try to give a betta tankmates, it's an experiment. They're all hit or miss.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:08 AM   #40 
FishFriend9292

I have never had a problem with bettas and snails. The first time i got it he did hover aroung it, and even pushed him around once. But now they just leave each other alone. Although my betta has gotten a liking to my snails algae wafers.
FishFriend9292 is offline   Reply With Quote