Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-22-2012, 03:28 PM   #1 
Armyguy03

Aqua Clear 20 - Another Believer

WOW!!! is all I can say. I had the generic filter in my tank and ordered the Marina online. I read a reviewer here state that they aren't that good for a 10G so I cancelled and ran to Petco to get the AC20. All I can say is when I turned off the generic filter and went back downstairs to set up the AC20 Brad Pitt was on the surface, happily swimming around. I installed the AC20, put it on the lowest setting, AND added my soda bottle baffle, and I now have zero movement on the surface of my water. Brad Pitt is now happily swimming on the surface and is no longer a bottom dweller. He now frequents the filtered side of his tank, and I believe that he is much happier without irritating water flow.

Thanks BettaFish posters!!!

Also, this filter is pretty inexpensive to maintain. I'm only changing filters sporadically, spread out over a three month period, and the replacements are under 3 bucks, WOW. Another score for the financial team!!!

CPT
Armyguy03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:00 AM   #2 
finnfinnfriend

Is the Aquaclear 20 quiet?
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 03:12 AM   #3 
inuudo

I have four Aquaclear filters running on three tanks (20 on my betta's 5.5, 30 on my neon tetras' 10 gal, and a 20+50 on my 37 gal) and they are all very quiet. They weren't the first couple of days, but then they seemed to settle in and have been terrific (apart from one 20 that needs a new impeller).

I don't change the media at all -- just rinse the sponges once in a while.
inuudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:22 AM   #4 
Armyguy03

Quote:
Originally Posted by inuudo View Post
I have four Aquaclear filters running on three tanks (20 on my betta's 5.5, 30 on my neon tetras' 10 gal, and a 20+50 on my 37 gal) and they are all very quiet. They weren't the first couple of days, but then they seemed to settle in and have been terrific (apart from one 20 that needs a new impeller).

I don't change the media at all -- just rinse the sponges once in a while.
You don't change the media for your betta tank? How many fish do you have in that tank? How often do you wash the sponge? Do you also rinse the charcol and bio max media. How is your water clarity? Right now it looks like Brad Pitt is swimming on air, and I love it. I only have him in there and do not plan on adding other fish to the tank.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:29 AM   #5 
LebronTheBetta

Don't listen to the directions when they say change the filter media every 1-3 months, that's only for the carbon and bio-bags. The true necessary media, sponge, is the one you should never replace until it literally breaks. Doesn't matter the inhabitants, number of stocking, don't ever replace unless it breaks. You would only have to change the carbon and bio-bag per instructions. Both of these unnecessary, yet helpful extras lose their active ingredient after a month or two. I have the AC30 and I love it. I use the carbon as my tank gets cloudy without it. Just wash the sponge with tank water a few times a month and it should be good to go.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:50 AM   #6 
Armyguy03

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
Don't listen to the directions when they say change the filter media every 1-3 months, that's only for the carbon and bio-bags. The true necessary media, sponge, is the one you should never replace until it literally breaks. Doesn't matter the inhabitants, number of stocking, don't ever replace unless it breaks. You would only have to change the carbon and bio-bag per instructions. Both of these unnecessary, yet helpful extras lose their active ingredient after a month or two. I have the AC30 and I love it. I use the carbon as my tank gets cloudy without it. Just wash the sponge with tank water a few times a month and it should be good to go.
Thanks, excellent information. When you wash the sponge in tank water, is this something you do after or before the water change? I'll complete monthly carbon changes and bio media every two.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:55 AM   #7 
LebronTheBetta

It really doesn't matter on the order, but I think after is much better do to the needed tank water to clean and to the BB, sudden disturbance before they eat more ammonia and nitrite since the filter isn't on.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 11:26 AM   #8 
callistra

I plan on never changing the bio bag, or maybe once a year from what I've read - just swish them in old tank water to get debris out. I plan to change the sponge every 6 months, but i rinse it weekly in old tank water. I change the carbon every 2 weeks or when I can smell the water.

I'm so jealous of all you people who don't have grinding aqua clears :( I can't seem to even FIND one that won't grind.

Last edited by callistra; 12-23-2012 at 11:30 AM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote