Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-24-2012, 03:28 AM   #41 
veilmist

VeilTail, OH THE HUMANITY. I've had my betta 6 months and I cringed at that post.
veilmist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:23 AM   #42 
VeilTail

Which one? I posted a few:)
VeilTail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:24 AM   #43 
veilmist

Veil: The one about the fish in the .3 gal tank. This is my first Betta, but I had some experience before keeping fish and I also had common sense, even I new better than that small! My fish lives in a 1 gal filtered but it's always clean and he seems happy. My heart goes out to that fish.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:44 AM   #44 
veilmist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyalaCookiejar View Post
Agreed. It's disturbing that he's perfectly OK with exposing his daughter to that kind of attitude toward living things. When I was a child I hated seeing all the dead and dying fish at the store... Especially when the ones that were still alive were munching on the dead ones.. I was also heartbroken when my first Betta in Elementary school died (my cat killed him while I was at camp because my parents didn't care for him like I asked them to, which included keeping the darn cat out of my room! They knew she loved to play with the fish (I also had a "paws off" aquarium decoration sign)).
I'm so sorry to hear that! I own a cat and a Betta (dangerous I know) but I have had previous experience owning both when I was little. When I first got my Betta I would leave home without shutting the door to my room and if I forgot I was terrified! Unfortunately my cat is getting older and she just isn't willing to fight open my tank (with a very secure cover) to try and get a meal when we feed her constantly (she is underweight so we encourage her to eat all she can). I very sorry about your Betta, he will be remembered!
Old 12-24-2012, 10:56 AM   #45 
AyalaCookiejar

Quote:
Originally Posted by veilmist View Post
I'm so sorry to hear that! I own a cat and a Betta (dangerous I know) but I have had previous experience owning both when I was little. When I first got my Betta I would leave home without shutting the door to my room and if I forgot I was terrified! Unfortunately my cat is getting older and she just isn't willing to fight open my tank (with a very secure cover) to try and get a meal when we feed her constantly (she is underweight so we encourage her to eat all she can). I very sorry about your Betta, he will be remembered!
I actually still have the cat, haha. She's fat and loud and lazy. Since then all my tank hoods have been taped on and the door has never been open long enough for her to sneak in. She used to climb through a hole she found in the wall and get into the ceiling of my room as well 0.0 plus, I don't even remember now what color Flipper was.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:08 AM   #46 
Neight

I've tried to tell people about betta care a little, too... Unfortunately, it's not my place, and they won't listen to a teenager, but I just don't want them to know zilch like I did coming into this hobby. I have learned so much. I'm glad your neighbor got the right advice, though. He sounds like my dad, who argues that if they can live in cups at petstores, that's all they need. Thankfully, I don't get along with my dad, and knew better. My first betta started in a one gallon bowl that was heated with an undertank heating pad from a lizard. It was kept very clean, and I probably did /more/ than the recommended water changes. But of course, soon I conned them into letting me get a ten gallon tank.
It sickens me to hear of people who argue that if a fish/any animal can /survive/, it must be able to /thrive/ in the same circumstances.
EDIT: It's odd, I have three cats and not one of them bothers with my fish. They don't even seem interested in watching them, but I have caught them drinking from them.

Last edited by Neight; 12-24-2012 at 11:10 AM. Reason: adding
Neight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:28 AM   #47 
VeilTail

Quote:
Originally Posted by veilmist View Post
Veil: The one about the fish in the .3 gal tank. This is my first Betta, but I had some experience before keeping fish and I also had common sense, even I new better than that small! My fish lives in a 1 gal filtered but it's always clean and he seems happy. My heart goes out to that fish.

Mine does too. I was going to buy him, but alas, I have no room.
VeilTail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:29 AM   #48 
LunaStars004

I have a cat and betta too!
They surprisingly get along, my cat is SO fat and lazy that he doesn't really go after the fish.
Once when the fish was in 3 gallon without lid (now in new 5 gallon with lid)
I went to my room, my cat in front of the tank DRINKING the water, my fish was fine and not hurt,
he was apparently too lazy to go to his water bowl -_-
LunaStars004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:50 AM   #49 
NeptunesMom

If you see a parent, it works the best with young children age 6-7 or younger, buying a fish with their child and they do not appear to be setting up the tank properly (i.e. no water conditioner). I say to them, "Do you have water conditioner or are you using bottled water?" and if they say, "no". I say, "Then your fish is going to die!"

I know I am bad. But, trust me that child freaking out will result in the betta getting a better home. I ONLY do this if I am 100% sure that the betta is not going to be properly cared for. I tend to hover and listen in to conversations before I say anything.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 12:16 PM   #50 
veilmist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyalaCookiejar View Post
I actually still have the cat, haha. She's fat and loud and lazy. Since then all my tank hoods have been taped on and the door has never been open long enough for her to sneak in. She used to climb through a hole she found in the wall and get into the ceiling of my room as well 0.0 plus, I don't even remember now what color Flipper was.
I'm happy to hear the cat is well and I'm glad you figured it out!