Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-26-2012, 03:40 PM   #71 
rubinthebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
The dying is deccreasing people have stopped buying them.
Thank goodness for that! Poor little fishes.
rubinthebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 04:23 PM   #72 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

"My mom thinks it's an opinion that they need clean and warm water" aI laughed when I heard that, but its really not that funny. And if you really think your fish is in danger, politely request it back.
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:33 PM   #73 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

It was never mine.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:15 PM   #74 
Friendlyfishies

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannah16 View Post
I experience this with my mother. She believes bettas can thrive in 1/2 g tanks their whole lives with some gravel and a plastic plant ._. .... I told her they need more and she shrugs me off. And that is why I'm glad I no longer live with her and hear her telling me I'm spending too much on my fish, though I love my mom.. just not her hardheadedness.
lol this sounds like my mum and i
Friendlyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:20 PM   #75 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodica View Post
We've got two little red wag platies that I think are the cutest things. They chase each other around and come to the side of the tank and look at me. Also have three painted platies, but they aren't quite as cute.
Googling "painted platies," no those are not dyed fish, that is the natural colour.
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:52 PM   #76 
MadameDesu

When I got my first betta last year, I looked up info and decided that if I was going to do it, I'd do it right.
I think all the half-a***d attempts to keep fish come from people who see them as expendable decorations and I find that really offensive. To treat death of a pet like an inconvenience. When my Rosie was dying, I was distraught. I never figured out what was wrong and there was nothing I could do for her. I had to sit there for about half an hour with her, basically watching her die and being powerless to stop it.
That's not something I saw as a mere inconvenience. It was very emotionally upsetting. She was my friend, not some pretty decoration behind glass.

That's why it really annoys me when I see parents buying fish for their kids and not treating them well. For some reason, it seems to me that people who don't respect animals, often have trouble respecting other human beings.
Teach your kids respect for animals of all shapes and sizes!
MadameDesu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 05:00 PM   #77 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
Googling "painted platies," no those are not dyed fish, that is the natural colour.
Posted via Mobile Device
Okay. But you do admit that sounds dyed?
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:47 PM   #78 
Neight

Yeah, Choc, painted platies certainly sound dyed, you're right, but it's just selective breeding to produce atypical color patterns. For example, crossing a red wag and a Mickey Mouse will get you something with a dark red base and splotches of color, sometimes even iridescent patches. It's really cool, but I agree the name should be altered. I have a 'painted' platy, but here they are labeled at inkwell platies.
Neight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:51 PM   #79 
bettaluver14

Veiltail:

yeah it's horrible i would do that too, but i'm shy lol :3

maybe i should work at Petsmart and be one of those good employees who go around giving adivce and stuff
bettaluver14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:54 PM   #80 
bethyMT

When parents do the wrong thing by thier pets, they are setting a terrible example (this goes from any fish to anything else) for thier children. Absolutely terrible, and very hard to forgive IMO. My parents mistreat/-ed thier pets throughout my early life to now. I feel so much guilt for not knowing any better.

I try to do better by my daughters. They are NEVER going to see me devaluing a life of any sort. And, I am naturally very cautious of anyone who doesn't treat animals correctly (I don't even like the word "owner," I prefer caregiver). If they don't love/care for animals, IDK how well they would love other humans.

Sorry if this is harsh. It's my soapbox. I'm stepping off now.
bethyMT is offline   Reply With Quote