betta fish

Old 12-22-2012, 05:53 PM   #11 
CooperS

Oh, my bad.

~Cooper
CooperS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 06:01 PM   #12 
DragonFish

Hes probably a little stressed from the lack of acclimation, the trip, and likely the fluctuating temperature combined.
Whenever you do a 100% water change, and especially when you're going someplace else with a different water chemistry, you need to properly acclimate your fish to the new water by floating their cup/container for about 20-30 minutes, pouring out a little of the old water(in the sink or other empty container), then adding a little of the new, and repeating that process every 10-15 minutes or so for a few times before releasing. You may not have to be quite as diligent with regular weekly changes using the same water, but you still need to acclimate otherwise you run the risk of shocking your fish.

Algae isn't harmful, just a little unsightly. You're right, its not all that big of a deal...you can leave it in there or rinse it off, your choice.

A stable 76 is alright, but the very bare minimum. I wouldn't mess with him too much for the next couple of days. Maybe put a towel around his tank, let him settle in a bit, but I would suggest looking into a better heater, something adjustable so you can safely bump his temp up to a more ideal 78-81 degrees. I know it can be hard to find ones small enough to fit in a 1 gallon(I would also suggest an upgrade to something a little larger, that extra 1-1.5 gallons even really makes a difference and is easier to heat), but on Amazon.com there are some very nicely priced good heaters that will certainly fit. Like so:
http://www.amazon.com/Hydor-Usa-Inc-...25+watt+heater
http://www.amazon.com/Elite-Submersi...=Elite+50+watt

The 50 watt Elite I've been told is fairly short, basically the same as their 25 watt(which I can't seem to find on Amazon anymore....), and it is indeed adjustable despite being advertised as present.

This is more of an 'in the near future' sort of thing rather then something you need to rush and get tomorrow to make him all better, but it will certainly improve his long-term quality of life and its something I would suggest picking up as soon as you are able.
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 06:05 PM   #13 
CooperS

Thanks a lot :) I can actually bump up the setting on the heating pad and the brings the temp up to about 80-81. But I won't do that until he's feeling better. Would you recommend I leave him alone for the next day, turn the light above him off?

Hm, if you think the extra .5 gallons actually helps, I'll look into it. And thanks for the heater advice and the acclimating tips, I will definitely do that next time.

He seems a little more active than yesterday, he's moving around to different places a little, but still being very still.

~Cooper
Old 12-22-2012, 06:10 PM   #14 
CooperS

Also...he's in my living room right now. Should I move him to my bedroom, where there wouldn't be anyone around him?

~Cooper
Old 12-22-2012, 06:17 PM   #15 
DragonFish

Yes, turn the light off and and moving him to a lower-traffic area for the time being will definitely be helpful. If hes starting to perk up thats a good sign. Hopefully after a few days he'll settle in alright.

So you're using an actual external heating pad? I assumed you meant one of those pad-like heaters that go inside the tanks....and those I know aren't adjustable....
A pad outside the tank likely isn't going to heat your water as well/evenly as something inside your tank. External pads are alright for reptiles who can take the fluctuations and need areas with cooler temps, but fish need something a little more stable and reliable that can distribute heat more evenly.

An extra 1-1.5 gallons, which would put you at about a 2-2.5 gallon. ;) IMO, and I'm sure many wold agree, that is the minimum for a long-term lifelong home for a betta, with something like 5+ gallons being the most ideal. And that extra gallon or two does make quite a bit of difference in the health and well-being of your fish, plus it is a little easier to heat and find heaters for something a little larger....and its a tad less maintenance. xD 1 gallons can be such pain to keep up...
Old 12-22-2012, 06:34 PM   #16 
CooperS

I turned his light off, so hopefully that helps :). He's been starting to swim around a little bit. Thanks for all your help, I really appreciate it.

~Cooper
Old 12-22-2012, 06:42 PM   #17 
DragonFish

Thats definitely a good sign. I bet he'll be just fine. ;)
And you're very welcome! Happy to help. :)
Old 12-22-2012, 06:44 PM   #18 
VeilTail

My male VT did that for 3-4 days after I got him and put him in a 1.5 gallon tank. He is great now, flaring and spreading his fins:)
VeilTail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 06:46 PM   #19 
CooperS

I'm glad someone else has had similar problems with a good outcome. :)

~Cooper
Old 12-22-2012, 07:34 PM   #20 
VeilTail

I think your guy will be fin, just keep an eye on him:)
VeilTail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lethargic