Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-23-2012, 10:50 AM   #1 
LittleBlueFishlets

Tail biting - how to stop it?

Cayman is over his bloating and constipation - but now he's started tail biting. Any suggestions on stopping it?

So far, I've tried:
  • warmer water temp (81F) / cooler water temp (78F)
  • increased light / decreased light
  • more exposure to my other bettas (especially the female) / less exposure to my other bettas
  • more privacy / less privacy
  • more decorations / fewer decorations
  • more silk plants / less silk plants
  • more mirror time for flaring (which has helped the constipation! LOL)

Photo 1: 12/8/12 - I had just brought him home, and he was acclimating in his cup:

Photo 2: 12/23/12 - Today: Amazing color change - but chomped fins:

Housing
What size is your tank? 3 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 80F
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Omega One
How often do you feed your betta fish? 1 pellet 4x/day (He bloated recently and is still somewhat constipated.)

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Was being treated for bloat/constipation, so he was getting daily water changes with Epsom salt..... Is now in regular water again (no salt) and received a 100% change 3 days ago.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Top Fin Water Conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
Ammonia: 0 ppm

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Tail biting! Other than that, he looks good.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? None
When did you start noticing the symptoms? During the past week , after being treated for constipation/bloat
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? See above
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Got from Petsmart two weeks ago. Was treated for constipation/bloat.
How old is your fish (approximately)? Young. He's smaller than my other two.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 11:03 AM   #2 
Laki

Unfortunately some heavier finned bettas bite their entire lives. Both my VT's bit their tails. I seemed to have controlled Ludendorff's biting when I divided the tank but before I left the house for vacation the edges were a little ragged.

Maybe more plants and caves to investigate? Where he is a HM he might keep biting if he feels he can swim better. I know you're not using a water current, which is good.
To prevent rot, you will have to maintain his clean water. And try adding in new plants and stuff a couple times a week. This is all I have to offer, hopefully someone else might have a solution.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote