Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-22-2012, 10:42 PM   #1 
BettaRepublic

Angry Bloated Betta Fish - Possible Ick...

Hi, guys. I was wondering if you could help me out with a problem I'm having with my fish, Peter. He's bloated, and he might have Ick. I'll get pics in a second because it's really obvious that they would help, but in the meantime, enjoy this information:

Housing
What size is your tank? 1.5g (Currently in 0.5g Hospital Tank)
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter? Yes (Not in Hospital Tank)
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Wardley Betta Pellets, Tetra BettaMin, and Tetra Bloodworms (In random order, to avoid food boredom)
How often do you feed your betta fish? Everyday (Once)

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 1-2wks
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: N/A
Nitrite: N/A
Nitrate: N/A
pH: N/A
Hardness: N/A
Alkalinity: N/A

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? He is very bloated and MAY have Ick
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He is occasionaly lethargic, but is otherwise normal and swimming around most of the time.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? I was gone for a few weeks, but the person taking care of the fish noticed it on Monday.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Yes. On that Monday after he got a little blated fter his food, he got put into a Hospital Tank. On Tuesday, we did not feed him, and he got more bloated. On Wednesday, we feed him some pea as a laxative, and gave him a espon salt bath for 20min. Same thing on friday.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Once he got lethargic due to low temperature.
How old is your fish (approximately)? 2 years
BettaRepublic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:31 PM   #2 
callistra

Most people would consider a 1.5g to be a hospital tank. You can't cycle something of that size so a filter in it would only stress him out. I would remove it.

Also of a bowl that size you need two weekly changes - one 50% and one 100%. The 100% should include a rinsing of the gravel and any other ornaments in the bowl. f you're only doing a change up to two weeks ammonia will very very high which will lead to him getting sick.

He also needs a heater unless your house stays 80F+ consistently. You will also need an in tank thermometer to monitor temps carefully because you can't get a good quality adjustable heater for something that small and the lower end ones tend to overheat the water. If you got him into something more like 2gallons + then you could get a good adjustable heater.

You left additives blank.. are you not using any condition? Conditioner must always be used. In something that small Prime is useful because it will render ammonia harmless in ways most won't.

Alternating pellets is fine. Feedings should be split up as his stomach is about the size of his eye. You can feed like 2 in the morning and another couple at night, for example. He also needs a fast day a week. Blood worms should be fed no more than one or two worms once a week as treats.

Ich is a sprinkling of salt. It is not bloating. Photos would be helpful.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:01 AM   #3 
BettaRepublic

Ok, I'll get to adding pictures, but I don't condition it, because I buy Pre-Prepared water. I'm going to go and by some supplies today.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:40 AM   #4 
callistra

What exactly is in your prepared water and what is the source of the water itself?
Old 12-23-2012, 11:00 AM   #5 
BettaRepublic

The water contains, according to the side of the jug, just treated water, because there isn't an ingredient list, and "an extra boost" of something called AQUABIOTIC BOTANICAL; it claims to have bacteria and natural extracts to lessen the need for changes and gravel cleaning, but I dont think it does anything. It also claims to add "essential electrolytes". And since he MIGHT have ick, should I give him any of the following?: Melafix, BettaRevive, QuICK Cure. Anyway, I am following your advice and getting bigger tanks today and doing water changes. Thanks for the help on that. I fed him one pellet today, not more, because the bloating as bad already as it is. And should I feed he Daphne, or any other laxative, because I don't want to feed him anymore peas, in fear of damaging his digestion system. I am going to get testing strips and post them soon.
Old 12-23-2012, 11:17 AM   #6 
callistra

Ask the store what type of water it is and what exactly is put in it. They should know or be able to find out. Here is one ingredient: http://www.caribsea.com/itempage_blu...cbotanical.htm <- I have never heard of this stuff.

Can you share photos and confirm that what you're seeing is salt sprinkled on his body because bloat isn't ick. Do you see scales sticking out? Don't use betta revive or melafix. Melafix is lethal to bettas because it smothers their labrynth organ and betta revive is a huge drug cocktail.

I would generally avoid peas, but just for future reference when/if you feed them you want to feed no more than once a week and it needs to be frozen or fresh not canned. Put one pea in a cup with a little of his tank water and nuke it in the microwave for 10 seconds. Take the shell off the pea and you see the pea inside has two parts. Take one part (half the pea) and break it into tiny pieces and feed a little at a time. You can feed 1/4 to 1/2 the pea but no more.

For the bloat, I would get some espom salt. It needs to be pure with no additives and you need to check the ingredients label to make sure nothing but epsom salt (Magnesium sulfate 100%) is present. You can get them at the pharamacy section of most grocery stores. I know CVS Pharmacy carries a brand that works. Predssolve 1/4 to 1 tsp per gallon and then add it to his water. That'll be a good start but when you can get more info and pictures we can comment on what else may need to be done.

Last edited by callistra; 12-23-2012 at 11:35 AM.
Old 12-23-2012, 04:25 PM   #7 
BettaRepublic

OK. To be safe I have checked with the stores, so there isn't any ick. They don't think it's dropsy. One, (Petsmart), said it was liquid and needed to be drained. I don't trust that. I am giving him 20 minute salt baths everyday with espom salt, and I have been doing that for a few days. One small store said that I should feed him for a week or two. He has some fin rot, so would Betta Revive help? I'm going to get pictures, but my camera is charging so we'll have to wait a bit. But, are you saying that espom salt will make it go away?
Old 12-23-2012, 04:35 PM   #8 
AyalaCookiejar

You can leave him in the Epsom salt for weeks. No need to do baths. Epsom salt may help if its constipation or fluid build up, but depending on what's causing the bloat, it may or may not fix it.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 04:44 PM   #9 
BettaRepublic

Oh, it might be fluid. Thanks for the validation, but if it's constipation, will the bloated part be clear, because when I shine light through it's clear. Anyway, about the salt, should I slowly introduce him, or put him in immediately. I am not sure what to do regarding that, as he does not seem to like the salt baths at all (not a surprise), and I am scared I might shock him. It would be great if anyone could answer these questions.
Old 12-23-2012, 04:48 PM   #10 
callistra

Some people start with 1 full tsp per gallon. Personally, I would start with 1/4 tsp and add a quarter every hour or so on up to the full tsp. The reason is even if the salts themselves are not stressful they can effect the ph. The softer the water the harder the swing and in very soft water it can cause a very large quick swing. Leave him it that 1-2 weeks or at least 1 week past when the bloat is fully gone. Make sure you increase water changes at outlined above and get him a heater. It is very hard to keep a betta healthy in anything smaller than 2.5g so consider upgrading his container. Don't use a filter in the 1.5g and a 2.5g won't need one either unless you want to use a sponge filter.

Can you share photos? Is there any pine coning? He may need meds in addition to epsoms.

Last edited by callistra; 12-23-2012 at 04:50 PM.

Tags
bloated, ick