Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-23-2012, 05:50 PM   #11 
AyalaCookiejar

Start with 1tsp per gallon. You can work up to three per gallon with Epsom salt. I would still slowly acclimate him to the salt. He may be more irritated with being in a smaller container than with the salt. Epsom salt is very mild and can be used long term in certain chronic-bloat cases.

I think that fluid build up causes it to be clear, yes. I also believe it is a side effect of internal organ failure, although it may not always be the case. If he is bloated and still pooping, it is not from constipation. The salt acts not only as a laxative but it can also draw fluid from the body. Watch closely for pineconing.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:15 PM   #12 
BettaRepublic

Sorry about going so long without pictures, but yes there seems to be pineconing, but only on the bloated part, the rest of the body seems to be fine. I believe that the pineconing on the bloated part is a result of the bloat and the scales moving to fit.
BettaRepublic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:35 PM   #13 
AyalaCookiejar

Yeah. Some people don't seem to believe that, though, but many say that bloating can cause slight pineconing and dropsy would cause it all over the body and not just around the belly area.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:49 PM   #14 
callistra

You can have absolutely giant bellys and have zero pine coning or you can have a small amount of bloat and some pine coning. pine coning just around the belly is GI dropsy.. fluid build up under the skin not just inside the abdomen. Epsoms salts and meds are required. Treat for at least two weeks and at least one full week past full recovery. The best med I have found is Kanaplex. If you can't find it you can try Maracyn Plus. Those two have the best reliability. Past that you can try Furan 2 and anything with Erythromycin but they are not nearly as effective.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 01:18 AM   #15 
BettaRepublic

Ok, thanks. What happens if I just do salt baths? Is the GI Dropsy lethal?
Old 12-24-2012, 01:20 AM   #16 
AyalaCookiejar

No need to do baths with Epsom salt. You can leave him in it. Dropsy is almost always lethal if not treated quick enough but GI dropsy I'm not sure...
Old 12-24-2012, 01:23 AM   #17 
BettaRepublic

Thanks, I'll phase him in slowly. I heard somewhere they took their betta to the vet and have the stuff drained. I doubt that works. I'll see what callistra says.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:28 AM   #18 
AyalaCookiejar

I have seen some people who pricked their bettas bellies with a needle an it drained an all was well after that... However it is very dangerous to do something like this and I do NOT recommend it. After treating with everything else possible I might try this if the Betta is doing very poorly and I was sure he was going to die if I didn't do SOMETHING.

No one here will recommend that you drain the fluid yourself, or try to. It may not even work and could cause other infections.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:37 AM   #19 
callistra

I'd do Epsom salts and if that isn't helpful I'd add internal antibiotic like kanaplex. I have no experience with draining fish and I would not suggest it unless you have a GOOD fish vet with lots of EXPERIENCE doing this. Otherwise I would totally avoid it and even then I would use it as a last ditch effort

As was reminded to me recently, you can also feed meds if you can find a source of metroidazole

Gi dropsy can be lethal but it doesn't tend to move nearly as fast as the full body pineconing

Last edited by callistra; 12-24-2012 at 08:42 AM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:34 AM   #20 
BettaRepublic

So, I use kanaplex? Where do I get it and how do I use it?

Tags
bloated, ick