Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-24-2012, 09:59 AM   #21 
AyalaCookiejar

Kanaplex is by Seachem and isn't very easy to find. Seachems website has a big list of websites that sell their products but I don't think it's found in stores often..
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:01 AM   #22 
BettaRepublic

Ok. I found it online. But I'm not sure if the disease is bloating or dropsy. Should I try just salt and anti-parasite food, to make sure its not dropsy, but bloat. If so, how long should I have him be in the espom salt? How exactly do I maintain the saltwater? If not, what are the spefific directions for Kanaplex? My betta also has fin rot, what should I use to treat fin rot that cooperates with the saltwater and/or Kanaplex?
BettaRepublic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:25 AM   #23 
AyalaCookiejar

Use one tsp per gallon of Epsom salt and make sure it is completely dissolved before adding it. You can work your way up to 3tsps per gallon. Epsom salt is mild. Use stress coat by API for the fin rot and keep the water clean. You can mix that with the salt and your other water conditioner or just use it as your only water conditioner if you don't use Prime.

Watch his poo. If he is pooping and still bloated, he has some kind of internal infection and it would be a good idea to treat with Kanaplex. It may be able to be mixed with the salt but see what callistra says.
Old 12-24-2012, 12:37 PM   #24 
sunlight

+1 If poo white,clear, stringy then it can be internal parasites. If it normal color and he get more bloated/raised scales despite fasting -3tsp/gall epsom with meds daily 100% water changes , introduce betta slowly to the new water.
sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 04:16 PM   #25 
BettaRepublic

Well, once he pooed white & stringy. I haven't seen him poo after that. I'll try adding the stress coat. Is it possible he has a parasite?
Old 12-24-2012, 04:19 PM   #26 
callistra

It's either parasite or bacterial. It's definitely an infection. Generally speaking, with parasite infections you'll see an increase in movement, darting, zig zag dance, etc. You'll also eventually see some weight loss. With bacterial I've seen more of a lethargic nature, not as much weight loss in most cases and more likelihood of food refusal. Also you're a lot more likey to see internal bacterial infections if you have cases of chronic constipation and keeping bettas at cold temps and poor water conditions while parasite infections tend to happen from feeding live or sometimes even frozen foods, but not freeze dried.

You're a lot more likely to have a bacterial infection, imho, but there's not guarantee.

Epsom salts for sure. Then you can either use the kanaplex bath for bacterial treatment, or treat for parasites with an antiparasite feed or I know AyalaCookiejar had some luck with some Jungle Parasite Clear product.

If you're using Kanaplex you need to treat for two full weeks using the instructions on the tube and then reevaluate. If you're going for parasites then you treat a minimum of two weeks AND at least one full week past when symptoms completely disappear. Meaning, if he's pooping totally normal after one week continue for two weeks. If he's not pooping totally normal until the end of two weeks treat a total of three. You can also mix up feed for internal parasite infections, or use a bath like the Parasite Clear stuff.

Last edited by callistra; 12-24-2012 at 04:26 PM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:36 PM   #27 
sunlight

I kind of think it internal parasites since he has white,clear,stringy poo and bloated. Bloating come from parasites in the stomach.

When you use epsom salt it helps to purge any internal parasites out it he has them.

Edit : All that callistra wrote make sense but also fish naturally have parasites and if the immune system compromised then it attach the body.

Last edited by sunlight; 12-24-2012 at 11:40 PM.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:42 PM   #28 
AyalaCookiejar

Epsom salt did not help my guy for over a week until I tried Parasite Clear and it helped tremendously in only 24 hours. He pooped out 3 large worms within the 24 hours after adding the medication so the Epsom salt may have helped with that but it didn't do anything on its own.
Old 12-25-2012, 11:01 AM   #29 
sunlight

You right Epsom salt will not treat internal parasites without meds. It will help though. It really fine to use epsom salt along with medications.
Old 12-25-2012, 12:17 PM   #30 
BettaRepublic

Ok, I'm getting him a 5g hospital tank with a heater and filter, but I was wondering if I could treat him with Kanaplex and Parasite Clear at the same time.

Tags
bloated, ick