Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-25-2012, 12:25 PM   #31 
callistra

That wouldn't be a good idea. Both meds are heavy hitters. I would choose one or the other. Honestly, the likelihood that you have a bacterial infection far exceeds parasite, but it's your choice what you want to treat for since it could technically be either.

Cycling a 5 gallon with a heater is a great idea and will help him stay healthier in the long run. For now though, he may have difficulty swimming and I would probably not worry about turning on the filter until he's well. With a 5 gallon uncycled you just need one weekly 100% water change. When you do the wter changes, put your thermometer under the tap and adjust the temp until it is equal to the tank's temp. That way when you fill it up with new water it will be as close to the same temp as possible - you may still have a couple of degrees error but that's okay. Make sure to float him in a cup and acclimate him slowly each time to avoid shock.

Cycling will take 3-8 weeks once you start on it and that's not something you want to do with an already sick fish. He needs clean water right now. Plus the meds may harm your bb growth.

Last edited by callistra; 12-25-2012 at 12:29 PM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 04:29 PM   #32 
BettaRepublic

Ok, I have a feeling this is a stupid question, but is this bacteria or parasite contagious? (In the sense that if He comes back in this tank, would the [bacteria/parasite] still possibly infect him, or any other of my bettas?)
BettaRepublic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 04:33 PM   #33 
callistra

Yes, they both are. But leaving a tank empty for a month should end that. You can fully disinfect it by using white distilled vinegar soak for about 15 minutes then rinsing very very well.
Old 12-25-2012, 06:10 PM   #34 
sunlight

also use boiling water for disinfection.
sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 06:23 PM   #35 
BETTACHKALOVE

if he has difficulty to swim or if he has dropsy he might have that problem you better to keep him in smaller bowl it will be easier for him to swim to the top. So i would wait until he is completely recovered before you transfer him to new tank. Or you can transfer him and if he will have to difficulty to swim you will just need to lower the water.
Also a lot of people recommending to use vinegar just like callistra told you to do and a lot of people recommending to use 10% of the clorax. That what i would do . You just need to wash it very well with hot,warm,cold water, wipe it, rinse it again and let it sit in the sun to completely dry it out. And prince it again. But it only for the tank itself.
BETTACHKALOVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 12:34 PM   #36 
BettaRepublic

Well, I called a small pet store in regards to Kanaplex, and asked about it. Some guy said he was filled up, and I would be "wasting money on meds." I think he has no idea this is dropsy/infection. This Only Problem I have with a bowl is that my house is really cold and I can't heat it. I need a heated tank so I can treat him. How should I get that in order?
Old 12-26-2012, 01:31 PM   #37 
callistra

You can buy a heater and thermometer for the bowl or you can get an acrylic bowl around 2 gallons and fill it half full and float it in a larger heated tank.
Old 12-26-2012, 01:43 PM   #38 
AyalaCookiejar

This is what I did ^ floated a one gallon in my five gallon. It's worked great!
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 02:31 PM   #39 
BettaRepublic

Okay, Ill try floating.
Old 12-26-2012, 02:48 PM   #40 
AyalaCookiejar

Good luck!
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bloated, ick