Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-22-2012, 03:35 PM   #1 
Shayebri

Flaring "Problem"?

I recently found an old plastic betta fish from something a few years ago. I wondered what my female betta Piccolo would do if I put it by her tank, and for the first time I saw her flare. At first it was pretty funny, because I had tried a mirror before, yet she flared at this plastic fish. This all happened about 10 minutes ago. Now whenever I go by her tank she flares at me, until in about 20 seconds then she realizes it's just me and stops. Is this just a phase she will stop in a while?
Shayebri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 05:19 PM   #2 
madmonahan

she will most likely get tired and stop. if you see that she starts to get stressed i would take it out.
madmonahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 05:39 PM   #3 
Xeek

I keep 2 males in a divided tank. The divider is just plastic black mesh. They can see each other clearly. At first they constantly flared when they caught a glimpse of each other. Now they're so used to each other and accept there is no way they can get to one another - they don't flare anymore. They ignore each other.

Bettas are smarter than we take them to be sometimes, but I shouldn't have to say that
Xeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:06 PM   #4 
Shayebri

It was next to the tank, and I did take it away before I posted this thread. She has stopped now.
Shayebri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 12:18 AM   #5 
Melodica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeek View Post
I keep 2 males in a divided tank. The divider is just plastic black mesh. They can see each other clearly. At first they constantly flared when they caught a glimpse of each other. Now they're so used to each other and accept there is no way they can get to one another - they don't flare anymore. They ignore each other.

Bettas are smarter than we take them to be sometimes, but I shouldn't have to say that
I have a divided tank as well - with the black mesh, but there are three boys in my tank. At first they were constantly chasing each other and flaring like crazy. If they had continued to flare at each other and become stressed, I would have found another way to divide the tank. It only took a few days before they would look at each other and go on about their business. It doesn't faze them at all.
Melodica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 12:29 AM   #6 
Xeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodica View Post
I have a divided tank as well - with the black mesh, but there are three boys in my tank. At first they were constantly chasing each other and flaring like crazy. If they had continued to flare at each other and become stressed, I would have found another way to divide the tank. It only took a few days before they would look at each other and go on about their business. It doesn't faze them at all.
They're smart enough to know they're divided.... remove the divider and its Rambo vs Die Hard hehe. Although with my females I've bogged after a few days they lose aggression and become accustomed to each other. 2 girls can live peacefully after but only for a short while.
Old 12-23-2012, 12:46 AM   #7 
madmonahan

I really want to see what this plastic fish looks like. ;)
madmonahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 01:45 AM   #8 
Blue Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmonahan View Post
I really want to see what this plastic fish looks like. ;)
I'm with you, can we get a picture? :)

All six of my boys live in divided 20 gallons, and they seem really sad when their tank mate moves to another tank for treatment or cleaning or something for a few days. I've noticed that when mine feel good they swim around and flare, but they stop when they're tired and will ignore each other. It doesn't seem to stress them at all, and instead seems to be an indicator of good health.

One of mine is *VERY* sensitive to any ammonia in his water (he was a rescue with serious burns, healthy now, but still very sensitive), and during cycling I could always tell when it was spiking, as he'd stop flaring at his tankmate. Even at very low ammonia levels, he was almost a better indicator of his water quality than the liquid test kit. :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 01:59 AM   #9 
Melodica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeek View Post
They're smart enough to know they're divided.... remove the divider and its Rambo vs Die Hard hehe. Although with my females I've bogged after a few days they lose aggression and become accustomed to each other. 2 girls can live peacefully after but only for a short while.
Oh, I have no doubt of that! Haha. I'm sure it would be all out war if they could get their fins on each other.

I thought about starting a sorority, but I think that might be a bit too advanced for me at this point. Maybe if I get more space in the future I can try my hand with the girls!
Melodica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:36 AM   #10 
Xeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodica View Post
Oh, I have no doubt of that! Haha. I'm sure it would be all out war if they could get their fins on each other.

I thought about starting a sorority, but I think that might be a bit too advanced for me at this point. Maybe if I get more space in the future I can try my hand with the girls!
It was my 2nd fish project after having 1 male betta. It's not as hard as it is challenging. You have to watch them and learn their behaviors and come up with a plan when things happen. I had a girl who was destined to remain in a tank by herself - but I refused to believe it was impossible to integrate even a betta that aggressive with the others. Animals are easier to condition than humans. A good start would be a proper sized tank 10g + and with plants a 10g can support more than 4 (lots of plants). Get a couple of transparent breeder boxes and house a few in there. Keep one in the tank (they really dont create territory, its all about pecking order). Another divided tank would be a good idea to house more girls. You want to get them all settled before you integrate them. Putting them together right out of the cup from the petstore would be too awfully stressful, I've tried it and lost that girl!