Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-23-2012, 06:48 AM   #1 
mrspickless

Help!!

Help me if you can. I have just started an aquarium, and went to my local stockist to get my first batch of fish. I explained that I was new to keeping fish and he sold me a male and female betta!!! They were actually living in relative harmony for the last few days but now he has started to chase her round like mad. As it is a Sunday I will not be able to remove her till tomorrow, am I best to take her back and keep the male.. or get another female? I want to stock my tank and it seems that she has ben a bit more aggressive with other fish so far than the male. How do I take her out of the tank and take her back..?? so many questions just hope she stays hidden till tomorrow.
mrspickless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:25 AM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

Oh that's not good . . . BAD LFS employee. Remove one of them immediately or you're likely to have a dead fish shortly. Just take the fish back to the store & tell them you only have one tank that isn't divided & you can't keep both in the same tank. As far as having multiple females, it depends on your tank set up. Have you read about cycling a tank? If not I suggest you do if your tank is filtered because your tank is new you are doing Fish IN cycle & need to test your water with a liquid water test kit & do the appropriate water changes to keep the fish healthy.

Last edited by shellieca; 12-23-2012 at 07:28 AM.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:44 AM   #3 
mrspickless

I am cycling the tank. I know that it is advised to do it fishless, but I could not find the amonia that I needed. I am a bit stuck removing her till tomorrow though as I have no where to put her that is heated and the store is closed till tomorrow. Am really worrked about her and would like to take her out now but have very few options.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:09 AM   #4 
bryanacute

You have a very bad situation. If, though you kept the cups they came in, cup both of them and let them float in the tank until you can take one back. This is the best thing I can think of in this type of situation.
bryanacute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:17 AM   #5 
mrspickless

They came in bags. Have washed out a protein shake jar, put holes in the top.. put her in that and its gone to the bottom with her in. Ill feed her in there and then take some of the water out to take her back. Have no idea why but feel thoroughly panic struck about this poor fish!! Do you think that this will be ok... it wont taint the water or anything?
Old 12-23-2012, 08:18 AM   #6 
bryanacute

As long as she can breath air. She has to be able to breath.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:28 AM   #7 
shellieca
Reference Team

I'd put her in something that can float as Bryanacute said she needs to be able to get air. Is there too much water in the container? You can use a small Tupperware type bowl.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:28 AM   #8 
mrspickless

Ive taken the top off, tied string round the mouth of the container and weighted it with my hoover so she doesnŽt sink. Keeping everything crossed IŽll take her back in the morning and she will survive the night in her prison!!
Old 12-23-2012, 08:30 AM   #9 
bryanacute

Good luck! Just make sure he can't get in with her. Bettas can jump.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:32 AM   #10 
mrspickless

Ive taken more water out and shes floating.. thanks for your help..