Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-23-2012, 10:18 PM   #1 
Izzy1226

Does this plant benefit my betta?

I'm not sure what this plant is called, all I know is that it's a house plant that can grow in water and it is harmless because I've had it in all of my other betta environments before. But will it actually benefit the water quality or something? I know that the underwater plants do, but only the roots are in the water with this plant so I'm not sure.

P.S. Caspian's bowl is rather empty in the pic because he used to have a decoration there, but it snagged his tail I'm currently looking for something new though.
Attached Images

Izzy1226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:45 PM   #2 
aemaki09

bump.

I think like with most fully aquatic plants it'll help suck up the ammonia and oxygenate water, but not sure, would be interested in knowing too!
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:49 PM   #3 
callistra

That's a philodendron. That plant is poisonous if eaten by humans or pets so I wouldn't put it in with your betta.. Also while they can be grown in water they do much better in soil with some nutrients.

It looks like your guy is a half gallon to gallon bowl with no thermometer and no heater.. Unless your house stays 80F+ he needs to be heated and ideally moved into at least a 2 gallon, which even then would require two water changes a week one at 50% and one at 100%.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 11:32 PM   #4 
carbonxxkidd

I have had pothos in my 5g tank with two bettas for over a month now with no problems, and my mom has had it in her tank for years with no problems. My boys love swimming around it and it seems to do okay just floating on top of their tank, growing new roots and leaves.

I have heard that it does the most for your fish if you put it inside your filter. It also tends to grow faster when it is mostly out of water with just the roots in.
carbonxxkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:44 AM   #5 
Myates

The leaves are mildly toxic, the roots should be fine.

The tank size is a bit small - a bit cold. Would recommend going a bit higher and warmer to keep him healthy. I'm not a big one on telling people tank sizes (I have some of my own in 1/4 & 1/2 gallons), but in your situation it's not heated so I recommend going to at least a gallon with a small heater.
Even with the plant, the tank being small you will need to be doing frequent water changes - no less than 50% every other day would be my recommendation (and that is taking into consideration that you have a plant).
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:03 AM   #6 
Izzy1226

Thank you, I'll get a heater and thermometer as soon as possible(never thought of that because all my other bettas were in Florida where the lowest temp ever in our house was 78 degrees) and I will also look for a bigger tank
Izzy1226 is offline   Reply With Quote