Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-23-2012, 11:04 AM   #1 
resa

Exclamation new betta owner with questions....

i bought a 'male' betta fish from walmart. its the first fish i've ever owned. i have only done a little bit of research. i realize i need to buy a bigger tank and add things to it. i have no thermometer, or heater and am unsure if i have correct lighting etc. however i noticed when i woke up this morning he has started making a bubble nest (i just read about those yesterday) i have had him less than a week. he's not eating the betta food which is floating pellets. from tetrabetta sold at walmart. and im now unsure if he's 'healthy' im at a lost for my baby. if someone could tell me why he isnt eating his food and why he is making bubble nest i'd be very greatful. plus i cant help but wonder if he's truly male :(
resa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 11:13 AM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

Hm... To clear things up, you're already going to get a bigger tank, heater, thermometer, decor, all those things right? Lighting won't matter.. Bubble nests don't mean they're happy. It means they're protecting territory or ready to mate. In your case, I think he's making his last effort to reproduce before he leaves the world. :( Is he lethargic? For now, what's the tank size? Try to get the tank warm, wrap a towel around it or some foil.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 11:15 AM   #3 
Fin Fancier

Congratulations on your new betta, and finding a good resource for learning how to care for him. You're in the same boat as a lot of new betta keepers, but with time and some searching you'll find a set up that works for you and your new guy.
First off, what's your current set up? While its generally suggested that you start with a 2.5 gallon, bettas can survive in 1 gallon set ups. My current female has been living in a 1 gallon heated bowl for a few weeks until her Christmas upgrade. :) Just remember the smaller the bowl the more often you need to change the water. My girl is getting 2 100% changes per a week.
A heater and thermometer should be next on your shopping list. Until you get one try and keep him in the warmest room in your house. Betta's should be kept between 78 - 80 degrees Fahrenheit. The rule of thumb is 5 watts per a gallon of water. They have small pre-set 10 watts at most pet stores, but they may not heat the tank to the proper temp, so if you can find one that is adjustable.
As for lighting, I wouldn't worry unless you have live plants. Bettas don't like to be in direct sunlight, and do fine with the daylight that comes in to your room.
Bettas can take a while to settle in to their new homes. I've heard of bettas that wouldn't eat for a week in a new set up. Give it a bit more time.
Fin Fancier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 11:24 AM   #4 
resa

Old 12-23-2012, 11:26 AM   #5 
resa

i'm using a 1 gallon tank thats a little over half full. im using a fake glowing plant and some fake small rocks. i was trying to upload a picture of him in his tank but i can only do it on my phone and it ask for the url. so i put my url in for my photobucket but as you can see the post above this one is blank
Old 12-23-2012, 11:27 AM   #6 
resa

i really want to upload a picture of him and don't know how ....that way people can see the fish clearly. (letting me know if he's happy or if he's truly male etc) but i dont know how to upload a picture...
Old 12-23-2012, 11:28 AM   #7 
resa

Old 12-23-2012, 11:28 AM   #8 
resa

see they keep coming up blank :(
Old 12-23-2012, 11:34 AM   #9 
resa

i set his picture as my profile picture but i dont see it showing up like that at all in these post
Old 12-23-2012, 01:12 PM   #10 
resa

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
Hm... To clear things up, you're already going to get a bigger tank, heater, thermometer, decor, all those things right? Lighting won't matter.. Bubble nests don't mean they're happy. It means they're protecting territory or ready to mate. In your case, I think he's making his last effort to reproduce before he leaves the world. :( Is he lethargic? For now, what's the tank size? Try to get the tank warm, wrap a towel around it or some foil.
as u can see i posted i have a 1 gallon bowl tank and its a little over half full. what do you mean he's preparing to die? as far as lethargic i dont know bc i dont know what a normal betta does or doesn't do. with him being in a small tank he doesn't move around alot bc there's no room. ( i will upgrade tanks along with rocks and planting when money comes in) ....i'd like to put up a pic of him for everyone to be able to tell if he's truly male and if he's truly 'happy'...... i love my little fishie but i know i need to do more research on him as well.