Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-23-2012, 02:35 AM   #1 
Blue Fish

Hooray for Pet Suppplies Plus, advertising *Proper Betta Care*!!!

Not sure if this belongs here or somewhere else...so mods feel free to move or whatever. I was SO PLEASED today when I realized that Pet Supplies Plus has on their betta info that "bettas need to live in at least a 2.5 to 5 gallon tank." They went on to stress that though some people put bettas in small, desk-top containers, that this is like a betta living in a bathroom and it's not healthy, and is "considered by some to be cruel." They also mentioned that the fish need heaters, water test kits, and a cycled aquarium. From NOW ON, Pet Supplies Plus will be my go-to for fish supplies. I was so proud of them!! :)

I believe they are a national chain, and they're the first I've seen to advertise and recommend proper betta homes. :)

There is hope!! :)

http://www.petsuppliesplus.com/conte...ame=betta_fish
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 11:28 AM   #2 
Sena Hansler

Though I agree it is a good thing they stepped up and offered proper betta care, there are some problems with it. They don't "need" a cycled aquarium, especially for a 2.5 (very hard). BUT it is still better than "0.25 gallons and up". :)

And they say having a male and female together is fine....
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 12:58 PM   #3 
Atena

Hopefully, it is a good sigh of things to come in pet stores of the future.

Maybe send them an e-mail about the errors in the care guide?

Just be sure to be friendly and polite about it.

Atena :)
Atena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 01:01 PM   #4 
SolomonFinch

Thumbs up for this post. Thank you.
SolomonFinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 01:24 PM   #5 
Goldie2nd

Well it is great progress I shall keep and eye for them then.
Goldie2nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:26 PM   #6 
sainthogan

I just read this and it doesn't actually say that males and females can be kept together but that the both can be kept with other fish.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:14 PM   #7 
callistra

That's great! I wish they would comment more on how filter current needs to be monitored and a prefilter sponge should be attached to an HOB.. really bettas do not need filters. There's a bit too much push in that way for me and they should talk more about the dangers instead of saying the most important consideration is one that can handle the bio load.

Airstone definitely not necessary and again more current.

Again, light is totally unnecessary. Natural light or light from the regular overhead house lights is perfect.

The hood says it should be solid and fit snugly. They don't mention there needs to be space for air to get in because they're air breathers.

Temperature could be elaborated more. They say not before 74, really it should be not below 76. They don't put an ideal or a max. It should say 76-82 with 78-80 being ideal.

They talk about water needing to be neutral, which isn't true. They should change that to say that consistent ph is more important and bettas can adapt to a wide variety of ph as long as it's above 6 and below 9.

They're suggesting water changes every 2 weeks instead of every week. They make a point of saying never do 100% change but they should clarify smaller ones below 5 gallons NEED it.

Still, with all the above things their attitude is WAY preferred over most places.

Last edited by callistra; 12-23-2012 at 09:21 PM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 01:05 AM   #8 
aemaki09

WOW! thats awesome.

But in my area, thats the absolute worst place to go to for anything fish-related. I despise them. The workers are clueless on absolutely everything they have in store.
You're lucky to have a good one in your area!! They have lower prices than any other store here, but I just cant stand how bad they are with their fish!
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 02:43 AM   #9 
AyalaCookiejar

As previously mentioned there are some errors but I think that advertising a larger tank ALONE is a huge accomplishment! At least we know they aren't just going for a quick buck by selling whatever they think people will buy... AKA a tiny tank that doesn't take up a lot of room. Don't know why someone would want a fish if they have no room for it, anyways.. But most people turn away when they think they have to spend a lot more money than they previously thought, on heaters and larger tanks, filters, decorations, etc...

It doesn't give the impression that bettas are simple pets. There isn't really such a thing as a simple pet, unless you count pet rocks, ha. I spend more time cleaning my Betta tank than cleaning my cat litter. People see them advertised as cheap and easy to care for which makes them spend money. That's all that most stores care about. It's nice to see one that actually cares about the well-being of the fish as well as the money aspect.

Wouldn't you think that they might make more money if they sold a larger tank and hood, a heater, filter, cartridges, more decorations and substrate, more expensive food and conditioner, and a test kit with each purchase rather than just a $7 one gallon kit? I for one have spent a lot more money on trying to give my Betta the best life possible than I would have just buying the little things that are generally marketed towards bettas...

If more people had a clue, they probably wouldn't mind a few extra bucks to make their fish happier. Not all, but many. I've found that most people do actually care, they just don't know that their fish needs warm water and more space and hiding places, etc...

/rant
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:05 AM   #10 
Virto

They advertise proper care, but like any other chain, they keep the bettas in a display stocked with those quarter-gallon cubes and what not.

I do like their prices and selection on tanks and pet supplies for things other than fish, but they do overprice heaters, lights, etc, at least at my local chain. The biggest thing they do with bettas at my local store is that they only get 3-5 at a time, instead of the 60-100 that Petsmart or Petco get.
Virto is offline   Reply With Quote