Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-23-2012, 11:09 AM   #1 
TySAAAN

What should I buy?

Since my little fishy has not much hiding places, I want to get him something so he can feel comfortable.

My tank is quite small so I can't fit a huge castle though.. Whats something good I should get him? I was looking into Betta Hammocks, and they look cool so I might get him that. But I rather give him something more bigger like a silk plant so he can hide his whole body all around.

Any ideas?
TySAAAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 11:21 AM   #2 
callistra

I love the idea of the betta hammocks, but unfortunetly they have a tendency to rust and that rust can be very toxic. So at the very least watch it very carefully but there are other silk plants whose leaves do just that. How big is the tank? That will help us know what can fit. I have a couple of silk plants that work in things around 1-2 gallons and some that would work in more of a 5 gallon.

I really like these caves: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...m?pcatid=21395 The'yre very soft/smooth
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 12:22 PM   #3 
TySAAAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
I love the idea of the betta hammocks, but unfortunetly they have a tendency to rust and that rust can be very toxic. So at the very least watch it very carefully but there are other silk plants whose leaves do just that. How big is the tank? That will help us know what can fit. I have a couple of silk plants that work in things around 1-2 gallons and some that would work in more of a 5 gallon.

I really like these caves: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...m?pcatid=21395 The'yre very soft/smooth
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...AvailInUS%2FNo

This is the tank I have.

Yeah I'm beginning to get second thoughts about getting the hammock. The leaves seem like a better idea. I also really like that cave! If it fits I'll probably get him a plant & a small cave.
Old 12-23-2012, 12:56 PM   #4 
callistra

That's a half gallon container. Bettas cannot be kept healthy in something that small for very long, and no cave will fit. Sorry. As is, needs 100% daily water change to keep ammonia down and I would use Prime as your conditioner if you're not already because that will render some of the ammonia he gets harmless.

Instead of spending money on decor, which isn't going to fit in something so small, I would invest some money on getting him something larger with an in tank thermometer and heater. While little cubes like that are cute they're not practical.

A 2.5 or 3 gallon would be a great upgrade for him and then he'd be able to get heated too. Petsmart sells rectangular 2.5g aqueon tanks for pretty cheap and you can get a lid too, or you can just get some saran wrap and cover most of the top and leave a little slit in the back for air to get in. You can also get minibow sets (but I wouldn't use the filter). These can be used with adjustable 25w heaters like Jager and Visitherm. 2-3 silks and a cave would work great in something that size. You don't even need gravel if you don't want to spend the money on it. I leave my smaller ones bare bottom and use a turkey baster to suck the poo out daily. It's a lot easier to keep clean when you've got a small uncycled one like that.
Old 12-23-2012, 01:19 PM   #5 
VeilTail

Yes, the .5 tank is small. Imagine living in a closet, kinda how he feels. Petco has a great 2.5 gallon tank, hood and filter included, for 27.00 shipping included. As with hiding spots, Walmart has a tie dye cave for 1.99, I have two of them, Isha and Wally love them:)
VeilTail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 01:48 PM   #6 
TySAAAN

Thanks so much for the help guys. I do realize now that the little cube is WAY too small. I plan on going tomorrow to get a new tank for my little guy. So far what caught my eyes are these two tanks. One is 2.5 gallons, another is 10. Whats odd is that they are the same price! Which one is better? I don't have much room in my house, but I can possibly find some space. Is 10 gallons TOO big for one fish? Or is it perfect?

Here are the links -

2.5 Gallon Tank : http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...AvailInUS%2FNo

10 Gallon Tank : http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...AvailInUS%2FNo
Old 12-23-2012, 02:02 PM   #7 
Cinderwolf

If you have the space, bigger is alwasy better. you guy woudl love a 10 gallon and what I liek about bigger tansk is that you can get a filter and cycle it.. bigger tank = cycled= way less work to care for plus its fun to decorat a big tank
Cinderwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:07 PM   #8 
TySAAAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderwolf View Post
If you have the space, bigger is alwasy better. you guy woudl love a 10 gallon and what I liek about bigger tansk is that you can get a filter and cycle it.. bigger tank = cycled= way less work to care for plus its fun to decorat a big tank
Hmmm. Well, since I am tight in space I might choose the 2.5 gallon tank. The 10 gallon tank is just too big and requires a lot of work to clean, filter, and its only for 1 fish. Thanks for the advice though!

Another thing... If I get the 2.5 gal, would I need to get a filter still?
Old 12-23-2012, 02:13 PM   #9 
VeilTail

http://www.petco.com/product/12351/A...um%20Kit-12351
This is a great tank. The filter is queit too! It is a little more, but has a hood and light with it.
VeilTail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:17 PM   #10 
callistra

No, anything less than 5 gallons would be very difficult to maintain a cycle. You don't need a filter, and I suggest not using one at all in anything less than a 5 gallon unless you use a sponge filter.

The aquarium kits I find to be not a good value because you don't want the filter, hood, sharp plastic plants, sub par food, or other stuff that comes with them anyway. So you're basically paying $20 for an acrylic tank and hood and that's a lot. The Aqueon glass 2.5g rectangular tank will sell for $10 or less. You can get a lid along with it or make you own, like I pointed out above. But it's your call.. The good heaters may be difficult to find locally in the store.. you want a good 25w adjustable and make sure to use the little glass in tank thermometers. Here's one online http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...2&pcatid=21322 Jager and Hydor also make 25w heaters.

Last edited by callistra; 12-23-2012 at 02:35 PM.